Dell XPS 13" 9300 (2020 Icelake)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iMbaQ, Jan 6, 2020.

1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Engadget

Arstechnica

WindowsCentral

Really good machine, even brought back the IR camera which is so much better than fingerprint (but you get both anyway with this one).

16:10 like the 2-1 but much better bezels and even kept the scissor keyboard of the non-2-1.

This is the laptop to beat.

jabbok and pressing like this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That screen without the bottom bezel looks fantastic. From a design perspective, it is as radical as the thin bezels of the 9550. Beautiful.

The CPU performance does not seem quite as revolutionary. There were some recent 15 watt CPUs that were easily tweaked to boost power envelope. If possible here (but probably unlikely), that would represent a good bump in performance. Details tend to trickle in on the ThrottleStop thread.

3. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The good news is that even dual core 15W CPU's ffrom a couple of years ago is more than powerful enough for almost everyone who is in the market for a 13" ultra portable - not just for casual use but certain professional uses too (which isn't doing rendering etc all day). So these being quad core and having GB scores in excess of ~15k is certainly enough horsepower for years to come. For most users these days I think RAM and dGPU are more likely to be bottlenecks than anything - and this Icelake CPU has brought about an iGPU which is so much better than before.

I am currently also using a dual core 7W MB Air and I am able to develop applications end to end on it without a hiccup.

If anything, these days 13" laptops have such powerful CPU's that the heat/noise has exponentially gone up over the years.

4. Noth

Noth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    More interesting to me is it finally hits 32Gb of RAM, about time!

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks awesome and some performance is stellar.

Some issues on SSD speeds, DPC latency, some benchmarks (Primier Pro 4k export!), some video glitches. Hopefully BIOS and driver revisions sort these out.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm getting my wife the white touchscreen version. I'm getting the 2 in 1 for my work device. Dell is knocking them out of the park.

7. chong67

chong67 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How LONG can your XPS 13 run (say for example) at 3.9 Ghz before it clocks down to 1.3 Ghz ?

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I can run my 7390 2-in-1 at 2.9GHz for 15+ minutes in Prime95 with an AVX load, that's not too shabby... That is with an undervolt and a repaste.

pressing likes this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is great real-world performance.