Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Bigmouth

Bigmouth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting... to clarify, is DBC the same as what we've been calling adaptive contrast, or something else?

Me neither. Did you purchase through Dell or Microsoft Store? Also, did you perform a clean install of Windows or not?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. chankoedo

chankoedo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    in the german dell forum a thread concerning CABC was closed with the statement und link I posted the page before. So no, there is no difference. If you have the FHD model you will never be able to determine a stable brightness-level of your display by yourself.

Bigmouth likes this.
  3. airmt

airmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At least to me the CABC hasnt been a major issue so far. I havent almost noticed it. But I cannot compare it to any other quality laptop display side by side to see how big the effect is. I also plan to do a lot of work on external display.

4. help1

help1 Newbie

Reputations:

Hello - good to know I'm not still alone. Because some people's display issues seem to have corrected. I did not uninstall Edge, but I don't use it. I do use Google Chrome though, but it'll blink even before I start up Chrome.

Mine is also from the Microsoft Store.

5. abd_97

abd_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Apparently the wifi/bluetooth dell broadcom adapter causes the problem.
    Some xps 13 owners report that they have changed this adapter by an intel 7265 ieee ac and this flickering, and others wifi related issues, are solved.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  6. SuperSAF

SuperSAF Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if you've tried the latest Intel beta display driver from their support page. If not, I would suggest trying that first. Switching out your card will disable Bluetooth as it is not compatible with the platform. That was the message I got after a couple of days or a restart.

7. iiqae

iiqae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    for those of you trying to perform a clean install, be wary.
    not saying this'll happen to you, but after receiving my xps13qhd, i installed the latest most recent w10 from the microsoft website to get a clean start and rid myself of some associated sluggishness with the new device.
    when it finished, my laptop did not detect any audio device. i tried installing the latest dell audio driver. to no avail.
    tried to system restore. failed.
    tried to restore to factory settings. failed.
    tried to boot parted magic from a usb (thinking i could erase the ssd and get it back to factory settings). failed.
    tried dell backup and restore. failed.
    so pretty much no outs.

spent over two hours with dell's customer service/tech support.
    tried a lot of different things. no solution.

brought it into a microsoft store today. they're performing their own checks. won't get it back for a while.
    they suggested that i demand a new laptop from dell. this actually all came after installing a replacement ssd from dell because the samsung 951 shipped with the system was faulty. incidentally, i got the same error message when i installed the new ssd as well, but it seemed to function even then.

rubbish situation to put it mildly.

8. omegafiler

omegafiler Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Possibly different, not sure. It seems this goes back to the previous gen XPS 13. I mean, somebody even created that test website for contrast issue. This is not a contrast issue, as that test passed perfectly before any F/W update. It's just the back-light.

So yeah, maybe different, who knows. Either way, it was very likely done for battery life considerations. So I could see battery taking a minor hit. We'll see if it's even noticeable.

9. playvideoondemand

playvideoondemand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is a shame. Since the days I've had the 9343, I have always longed for the disable of its CABC. I simply learned to live with it and accept it since there was no other Ultrabook that has the same battery life, power, build quality & matte display. But ever since the news came out about the QHD+ variant being fixed with a simple .exe file, I have started to long for it again. I have started to nitpick about the display again and get annoyed again every now and then whenever the screen dims.

There are times when the entire screen gets really dimmed just because a small window, with black background on it, is opened together with all other windows. Just because 25% of the display has a dark area on it, it dims its entire self. This what annoys me the most since this particular behavior of CABC fails a lot.

Dell still is trying to avoid costs here. We all know now that the CABC on the XPS 13 can be disabled by having a modified panel firmware. There is no required alteration on the hardware that should be done physically. However, the process to flash the 1080p panel's firmware is another story, and may seem to require Sharp doing the work. It is a shame that Dell and Sharp did not communicate well. No proper disclosure has been made by Sharp, while Dell not taking care of Quality. The IGZO panel having this intrusive auto dimming so called "feature" obviously was not disclosed to Dell and it seems that it is only now that Dell is fully aware of it. This makes me mad.

10. pkirangi

pkirangi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How do I verify if I have the latest Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver?