Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Croe21

Croe21 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just did the Windows update and I'll be damned, I think that fixed the scrolling issue. Besides that, isn't there a Bios update that is supposed to make the battery last longer?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. W123

W123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone try to shim the touchpad to fix the slight rattly noise whenever you click?

3. vbnut

vbnut Newbie

Reputations:
    Any recommendations on the best choice for gigabit ethernet on this baby?

4. iiqae

iiqae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i had referred to something akin to this a few pages prior.
    i don't know if it is even an issue or working as intended, but around the midpoint of the touchpad, tapping to click depresses the touchpad into the clicking sound.

or are you referring to something different?

*edit*
    just found a video addressing my experience.

involves disassembling the touchpad in order to fill a gap between the touchpad and the frame with electrical tape so even taps towards the bottom don't cause the mechanism to depress, and thus, click.

5. abd_97

abd_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. Tomatot

Tomatot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For those kind of accessories, is it better to use the USB-C port or the USB3 one ?

7. Bigmouth

Bigmouth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I also posted about the loose trackpad issue. I'm curious, do yours get better as the computer heats up? Also, is the problem less when you use the computer in your lap vs. on a desk?

8. pkirangi

pkirangi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How do you know this? You don't hear the Fans or somewhere in dignostics it says Fan error? Also just got my new laptop couple of days ago, and I updated to the new BIOS. I too don't hear any FAN noise. How do I confirm if FAN's are really a issue?

9. msuboon

msuboon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys.

Tried to search through thread but 74 pages is alot.

I'm looking to buy the QHD+ model. I'm worried about the dynamic brightness/contrast. I was doing research and found that Dell promised to release a tool to disable it, at least on the QHD+ model. Did they ever release this tool yet?

Thanks.

10. omegafiler

omegafiler Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This fan is really quiet. Just go into diagnostics. Although interestingly, mine won't even run the DST (HD) diagnostics, and fails. I see another BIOS update in the near future. :)

1. Shutdown
    2. Power on and Press F12 a few times right away
    3. Select Diagnostics
    4. If you see any errors, click OK, then swipe to the right or click the arrow in the bottom right corner
    5. Select thorough mode, and Run

On this screen, you'll see the RPM of the fan. The diagnostics does a super fast fan test, but after it's run diagnostics for a bit, you'll hear the fan. It's still pretty darn quiet.

If you can't catch F12, try holding down FN while pressing Power Button (from shutdown).

Mine is very recent build (i5/256/8/QHD), just got it yesterday. I also turned off any "enhancements" in the intel control panel. I haven't seen any dynamic contrast anywhere. Looks like they're disabling it from the factory now.

EDIT: Also ran this test to confirm