Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Bigmouth

Bigmouth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sigh... I just received my XPS 13 and already I've noticed it has a loose trackpad. On the plus side, no coil whine so far.

2. pkirangi

pkirangi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What do you mean by loose track pad?

3. Bigmouth

Bigmouth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There's a slight rattle and faint clicking noise when tapped. From what I've seen online, it's a common problem with the previous model of XPS 13, too.

PS: Here's a video someone made of the problem:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  4. airmt

airmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually dont mind the adaptive brightness at the moment because I havent noticed its effects very much so far. I cannot compare it to any other good screen at the moment, it just seems the blacks are so deep, that some dark tones are not as visible as it should be. I am not sure if I made it clear :) But will see when I get a chance to connect my 23" IPS screen (waiting for the USB 3.1 - HDMI connector).

5. airmt

airmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The loose trackpad should be easily repairable by the Dell technician. The coil whine is not so easy to get rid of.

6. Bigmouth

Bigmouth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's what I'm thinking, too.

Interestingly, the problem seems to have gotten better in the short time since I made my post. I don't know if it was the heat from installing updates, or if I simply got accustomed to it, but it does seem better. Not as solid as my Thinkpad, but hardly noticeable.

The XPS 13 is so awesome otherwise, I'm going to hold onto it for a few days and see if the trackpad's really an issue. If it is, I'll see if Dell would be willing send someone out to service it. One thing's for sure, I'm not sending a brand new laptop in for warranty service!

PS: One thing's absolutely clear: Chrome scrolling improves noticeably when you turn off pinch-to-zoom.

7. robsel

robsel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How did you measure this? Im using battery bar, and even with a fresh install, no programs opened, and idling at desktop there is no way it goes below 5/6 w. (brightness set to the lowest)

8. Tihauan

Tihauan Newbie

Reputations:
    You can use HWiNFO and look at the charge rate. The graph below shows a power draw of 2.2-3 W on my FHD XPS at lowest brightness, airplane mode and no keyboard backlight.

[​IMG]

9. abd_97

abd_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi. Please what utilities report power usage, working temperature and battery usage? Thanks.

10. pkirangi

pkirangi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Interesting. Keep us posted.