Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. airmt

airmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The noise coming from some laptops may also be coil whine. I have it. It can be heard only in quiet environment in working distance or when you put your ear closer to the keyboard. It is more audible when the CPU usage is +- over 10%, I can hear it even when scrolling using touchpad or keyboard (up, down). It is very subtle buzz like there is a regular hard drive inside performing read or write, but more quiet. I usually have idle CPU usage around 5% (I do lots reading/writing), I am not sure if it is gonna change in the next 1 or 2 years (when Win10 catches more thrash and background apps running), or when I plug in external display (can not try at the moment) cause higher CPU usage may make it audible more often.
    This is my first quiet laptop, I wonder if it is normal/usual or not. It is nowhere near the coil whine the previous XPS 13s (2014) had but still dont know if it may get worse or not. Would you contact Dell for repair?

2. pkirangi

pkirangi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a i7/16gb/1tb qhd configuration. At 50% screen brightness with no battery saver, the time displayed for the battery is about 3:30 min after charging for 100%. This is my first charge. Where does the 7 or 10hrs come from as advertised in the Dell website? Just over 3 hrs.....Is This a battery issue?

3. abd_97

abd_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Bios 1.1.7 is already available to download on Dell Support page.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Bigmouth likes this.
  4. matejdro

matejdro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow amazing changelog

They didn't even mention battery life.

5. chankoedo

chankoedo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You could try, however I don't think there is a solution to this. Only thing they probably would do is changing the mainboard which will not have any effects however.

I had three different skylake notebooks the last few weeks (800€, 900€, 1000€) and the two more expensive ones had subtle coil whining. As far as I can see, it seems that this issue is very common. Maybe the years before too, but you could hardly recognize it, as notebooks tended not to be absolutely silent, now talking about the fan. With ultrabooks which turn off the fan when doing normal stuff, it now gets more apparent.

airmt and Bigmouth like this.
  6. airmt

airmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    chankoedo: True. Could you tell us which Skylake notebooks had the coil whining? Was it Dell or other manufacturers? I guess it has something to do with the motherboard or CPU. I dont know if Dell was solving this issue with the past notebooks (such as XPS 13 2014, which suffered from it), I guess someone here could give us a hint.

7. chankoedo

chankoedo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had the HP Envy 13 and Asus UX303UB.

8. Michael Threlfall

Michael Threlfall Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same. Just had my motherboard, power jack and wifi card replaced. Still there. I'll post back when I've had a chance to use it more with the BIOS updat 1.1.7.

He said he'd get back to me tomorrow with what Dell Said.

Quick question: Considering it was a new mobo, the tech applied thermal paste strip on the fresh cpu. But he didn't clean off some of the residue from the heatsink. Will this matter in practice to my lap temps. (Appreciate this does sound obsessive) The thing I am most concerned about with this laptop is the heat. I want it to be cool on my lap just when idle and maybe typing a word document. Both old mobo and new mobo laptop are abit warm in the lap but quiet. I read a review which had the bottom at about room temp. What are other peoples experiences? Thanks

Here are two pics of the original MOBO. I couldn't see an obvious coil componentin that area on top or underneath.

Album of two pics:
    http://imgur.com/mOufnOP

edit: here's the second pic http://imgur.com/z5REV45

9. iatrou

iatrou Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can someone tell if the battery life improved with the new bios?

10. DuX

DuX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any UK people bought from John Lewis?
    They are £50 more for the i5/256GB/8GB/FHD but you get 3yrs warranty included and they are in stock.