Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Some Tech Noob

Some Tech Noob Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let us know how it goes! I haven't found a need to update the bios for awhile but if the most recent one finally reduces coil whine, I'm all for it.

2. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Went fine, I don't think it did anything visible to be honest... :)

3. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can replace it with a higher capacity battery from the 9360.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUIN...574165?hash=item361db41155:g:lGgAAOSwqeFZelCc

Battery life might also go up more if you throw in an intel 9260 wifi adapter while you're in there, to replace the older broadcom that's inside now.

5. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting, thanks. Will likely buy. I did put in a 8260 adapter a year+ ago, while I put in the SM951 512MB.
    I assume the 9260 is a good step up, better performance and less power usage?

PAPPL likes this.
  6. buffpatel

buffpatel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Let me know if the battery and wifi adapter work for you. I have a stock 9350, been happy with it. Windows 10 updates and Bios updates seem to have resolved my coil whine and touchpad issues over the past year. I get about 5 hours of battery life, so am tempted about this new battery and wifi adapter if it'll give me about an extra hour of life and better wifi signal (though I'll say the original wifi adapter has worked very well for me in general).

7. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ordered both the Intel 9260 and the 9360 battery, hope to get back to 8-10 hour battery time with it, effectively maybe doubling, could be well worth it!
    6W extra capacity on the battery vs new 9350 battery and there are power reduction mentions on the wifi card too.

I don't like opening the machine too often as the T5 screws so quickly lose the grip, but fingers crossed...

8. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can buy screws from parts-people! or maybe other places with cheaper shipping.

9. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks bought some not so cheap T5 screws on Ebay too. I saw the parts people site had some but they were philips head, which is fine I guess, but just did ebay instead.

10. buffpatel

buffpatel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I decided to pull the trigger too. Bought both and hopefully will get them next week. I also did a little research on undervolting - I plan to also undervolt my CPU and also repaste it with thermal compound since I'll be in there. I figure if this is the one and only time I ever open the laptop up, I might as well do everything to optimize it.

My hope is that with everything I do: new battery, wifi card, undervolted CPU and thermal paste I might get close to 8 hours battery life. I'd even consider 7.5 hours a success.

kirkyboy likes this.