]]>

Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone have success with updating to the new TB3 firmware on the Dell page? I did get the driver updated but the firmware says I need the newest driver, except I already did that....

2. PAPPL

PAPPL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same problem here.
    Seems the Updater has a faulty version checking mechanism.
    The previous NVM 16 update also said "thunderbolt driver up to date".
    Maybe it's only checking NVM version (already 16), but not the newer NVM 16 enhancements.
    Hope NVM 18 or 21 firmware update will come soon to fully support Thunderbolt 3 like XPS 9560.

3. manelz

manelz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,
    I would like to do a clean instal on my XPS13. So far, the hard drive is not recognized by windows installer (usb boot key) because a driver is missing. I'm using F12 to boot on the usb key. Both UEFI and Legacy boot on key does the same result : no hard drive found by windows installer.
    I've read somewhere that I should change RAID mode to AHCI mode, in order to have the hard drive found by windows installer. If I remember right, this mode changing could make impossible the reinstallation of intel rapid storage technology.
    Has anyone successfuly done a proper clean instal ?
    Thank you in advance :)

4. Marc C

Marc C Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you are trying to install W7 see here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19674383/20898274#20898274

5. manelz

manelz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm trying W10. It seems to be working with the proper hard drive driver added on the Win10 usb boot key. I did not went threw the whole process but I should work without changing any bios parameter

6. PAPPL

Reputations:
    NVM26 Thunderbolt Firmware released!

7. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Cannot install it... Says it requires the newest controller driver, which cannot be installed since it says its already installed... I get the remove option only for that one...

8. PAPPL

Reputations:
    Uninstall and reinstall. Thunderbolt Firmware Update NVM26 worked for me.

New BIOS Update 1.61 worked too.

9. mbernstein

mbernstein Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

It seems NVM26 is broken, at least for other models. In our case, it is not available anymore, they rolled back to NVM16. Anyway, in case anyone is experiencing problems in (re)-installing the firmware I was only successfull following the second post in this link:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20026135?pi41097=1

That said I still miss direct DisplayPort/HDMI. It is annoying to have to wake up my Monitor manually using Thunderbird and an HDMI adapter. I don't know if others get the same. I don't know if this is due to my monitor or else, though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. PAPPL

Reputations:
    I'm using WD15 Dock with Displayport and HDMI Out with two 1080p monitors. They are both connected via native Displayport connection, as reported by Windows 10.
    The USB-C (USB/Thunderbolt) connection is very stable with newest NVM26 firmware an thunderbolt drivers.
    For me they ironed out all bugs like display flickering or my second monitor not activating (staying in standby mode).
    Even after standby mode both displays are working always very stable.

The dead HDMI port seems to affect 15" XPS models with HDMI-Out port, not the USB-C connection?

Here is a niche list of all XPS13 downloads:
    http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-13-9350-laptop.html

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017