]]>

Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Some Tech Noob

Some Tech Noob Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah it's definitely disappointing. I picked up this ultrabook literally a week after its release after following the 9343 model for a full year or so. It looked perfect - newest Skylake stuff, ThunderBolt 3, and the great form factor.

Still pretty happy with it now, but there were a surprising amount of hidden drawbacks and bugs that didn't quite make this laptop the solid hitter I thought it would be.

2. z31fanatic

z31fanatic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Today I ordered a 9350 from the Dell outlet. i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, QHD touchscreen. It was a scratch and dent unit for $839 (+tax). I hope I like it and won't have to return it.

3. Some Tech Noob

Reputations:
    Pretty good price. I feel battery life is a bit short on the QHD models when compared to FHD, but now that the majority of the bugs are worked out it should be a decent device.

z31fanatic likes this.
  4. z31fanatic

z31fanatic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What times are you getting?

5. Some Tech Noob

Reputations:
    Heavily brightness and wifi dependent. At 70% brightness or so I get around 6 hours of typical web browsing usage. Drops down to about 5 hours if you're streaming video.

When I had a 1080p panel on mine(Dell swapped my screen to the 1800p when I RMA'd it) i was getting 8-10 hours. It was much better.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. iatrou

iatrou Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I connected the Dell XPS 13 9350 to a 24 inch Dell screen through DA-100 adapter and the OpenGl do not work in some programs. What is wrong?

7. Some Tech Noob

Reputations:
    Anyone know the screw size for this laptop's back cover? I just know that they're T5. One of the screws closer to the hinge has magically disappeared and the other side has loosened...

8. sparksd

sparksd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    T5 M2x3mm Torx countersunk seems to be the standard back screw for the XPS line:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DDN6XWO

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Some Tech Noob likes this.
  9. 9350

9350 Newbie

Reputations:
    New BIOS v 1.4.18 available

Fixes:
    N/A
    Enhancements:
    1. Fixed a potential security issue with Bootguard code integrity chaining enforcement".
    2. Fixed a potential security issue with the Support Assist PreBoot feature
    3. Updated processor microcode
    4. Update Computrace 957
    5. Update Bios boot guard module

10. BrianKBaer

BrianKBaer Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm sure this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in with my 2 cents on this machine anyway ...

I own the dell xps 13 9350 (2016 model) with the intel iris 540 graphics card. My particular device has the following specs:
    ----- Intel core i7-6560u processor
    ---- Intel iris 540 graphics card
    --- 512GB NVMe SSD (Toshiba)
    -- 16GB Ram (Memory)
    - QHD+ Touch Screen (3200x1800)

So there were two models released this year, in 2016 that is, one of the two models had the i7-6500u processor and intel hd 520 graphics, and the other had the i7-6560u processor and intel iris 540 graphics; that is the one I have, and I absolutely LOVE IT!!

reasons why I love this laptop, for one, its extremely durable - I've taken really good care of this laptop regardless, but there have been a few instances where I had dropped something very heavy on the inside where the carbon fiber is (keyboard and trackpad area) and it literally smacked down really hard on the surface, leaving absolutely no wear-or-tear. not even a scratch or mark, extremely surprising as I had expected there to be visible damage from the drop & impact of the blunt device.

Another reason why I am in love with this machine is because of the performance, speed, and usability - this thing is lightning fast (IMO) - I can boot-up the laptop from being shut-down and completely cold in 6.4 seconds flat, with a steady restart/boot-up time not exceeding 6.9 seconds, EVER. And the SSD is extremely fast, loading software and programs/applications is a LIGHTNING FAST process, I love it!

now read & write speeds are pretty good I think, I've read everywhere else that people get a lot less in mb/s, so I'm assuming what mine is getting according to the CrystalDiskMark - Benchmark is pretty good. I honestly don't even know how this translates in real-world usage, other than it determines how fast and efficient my file/data transfer speeds are when transferring data - (not sure if that means when I pull photos/videos off my sd card when plugged into the laptop, and save that bit of photos/videos on my ssd or maybe download speeds - just not sure, maybe someone can verify for me?) - but the write and read speeds on my xps 13 are as follows:

Seq. Q32T1: Read [MB/s] 1575 ~ Write [MB/s] 944.5
    4K Q32T1: Read [MB/s] 215.8 ~ Write [MB/s] 167.4
    Seq.: Read [MB/s] 1327 ~ Write [MB/s] 1015
    4K: Read [MB/s] 41.67 ~ Write [MB/s] 78.79

WiFi is GREAT.
    Back-Lit Keyboard is GREAT.
    Typing is GREAT.
    Graphical Performance is GREAT.
    - There isn't much about this laptop that isn't phenomenal really, its excellent all-around.
    one thing I did wish was possible, upgradable ram - or at-least the option to put fresh-new ram into the device when the ram that is soldered on the motherboard goes bad..

other than that, this is absolutely one of the best devices I have ever owned, and probably ever will own. I do want to get my hands on the Dell XPS 15 with the NVidia GTX 1050, but that may not happen for quite some time, as I would not opt for anything less that fully-loaded (16gb ram, 512gb or 1TB ssd, QHD + touch screen, GTX 1050, etc.)

Thanks for reading, hope this helps someone out there !

Please visit my youtube channel for some videos on this particular laptop I'm writing about here, you can find my channel by clicking this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVIb0vZ1vBlDX9x75Uri-Jw

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017