Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. ghtop

ghtop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you actually measure the surface temp? Then give Dell a call and ask whether it's within operating params.

As for coil: probably not (otherwise they would have to warn against it explicitly), but why take the risk, especially when charging unattended? I'd rather have the 2 seconds inconvenience than a burned down house :p

2. nanoudge99

nanoudge99 Newbie

Reputations:

Cheers for the help. I would never leave it charging unattended anyway. I mainy notice the high heat while using and charging it in college and I usually leave it coilled up then. To be clear too it seems to be the same temperature coilled up as not coiled

3. JamesFosterUK

JamesFosterUK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay after living with the Broadcom wireless chipset I've decided to replace it with an Intel AC8260. Some guys have already done that on here. I can't understand why these cards are in such short supply. My regular parts dealer hasn't got them. Only a couple of Chinese guys on Amazon have them. This is in London, England. But I can't understand why Dell would use Broadcom instead of Intel other than to save a couple of dollars.

4. sebbe1991

sebbe1991 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have 2 chargers (bought an extra to bring to school) and they never get hot. The one i have at home is always plugged in - and it is wrapped up as well. It's not even close to hot, just slightly warmer than the surrounding. I would call dell and ask what's up.

5. Meesak123

Meesak123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought it from Amazon for £33 I think. Intel was the retailer I think so take a look.

6. iiqae

iiqae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    any noticeable improvements?

7. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I also got the Intel 8260 and it seems to work better with better range, speed and stability. I have had two times bluetooth disappear on me when resuming from sleep though - icon gone and no settings for it. But it could have been drivers or random glitches. Its Intels best card.

I did have an issue that the wifi card got very hot when I had the PC plugged in, the fan kicked in and it got hot in the upper left corner area of the keyboard. What I did was setting the power saving mode in the wireless adapter settings to "Medium Power Saving" when plugged in (as it is on battery) and that "fixed it". Not sure if it should be like that though, works okay on max on other PCs here.

I did use the latest driver from Intel and not the one found on Dells site - I might try that one and see if I can the use "Maximum Performance" again without overheating :|

8. icemaker

icemaker Newbie

Reputations:
    Yesterday where my xps 13 did not want to get out of sleep.
    The power button and keyboards lighting were active but the screen stayed black.
    The only solution was to force a shutdown of the laptop by pressing the power button for several seconds.
    Anybody already encountered this problem ?
    Any fix possible ?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  9. emike

emike Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, once or twice.

10. abd_97

abd_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Look on Control Panel Programs installed and uninstall any Broadcom program, if any still there.