]]>

Dell XPS 13 2015 Skylake Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by abd_97, Oct 12, 2015.

1. abd_97

abd_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Please post here all your comments regarding new Dell XPS 13 9350, whether you already have one, or ordered it or waiting to see reviews before buy.
    Particularly I have a 9343 which I'm planning to give to my daughter and buy the new model.

Regards.

Edit 12/08/15: I Just received my new Dell XPS 13 9350 :)... and my daughter her XPS 13 9343 :p.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    PAPPL and droyder like this.
  2. droyder

droyder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell is taking orders on these now with an estimated 8-10 day delivery time frame.

Most interested to hear whether the new, larger trackpad will indeed be improved. Also curious if the auto-dim "feature" on the Gen 1 version will be removed/resolved on the 9350.

aBs0lut3z33r0 likes this.
  3. Bigmouth

Bigmouth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm very interested in this, too. The answer is relevant to my decisions to buy and whether I spring for a touchscreen.

4. abd_97

abd_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dell XPS with Windows 10 fresh installed vs Microsoft Signature edition. Do I get the same performance results?
    I ask this because I'm looking for the best value price.

5. JamieW

JamieW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see that here and in Dell's advert they seem to be saying the XPS 13 9350 has upgradable RAM (DDR4) talking about 32GB in future.

This makes me think it's worth getting the 8GB QHD+ version with 256GB SSD. Then upgrade the SSD and RAM later when the price comes down a bit.

Be interesting to see what speed PCIe SSD is supported by the M.2 slot, some of these drives can do over 2GBytes / second! You can still buy PC2100 RAM that is only that fast...

I think the USB C Thunderbolt is very interesting indeed. The idea of connecting to an external full blown desktop graphics card and 4K monitor would be very nice.

6. Ben REIMEU

Ben REIMEU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't think RAM will be upgradable because :
    - Broadwell XPS and Skylake XPS shares A LOT of characteristics, and Broadwell version has soldered RAM
    - Dell website mention "On Board" memory slot
    - There's no mention of removable RAM in the service manual : http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/a...p/xps-13-9350-laptop_Service Manual_en-us.pdf

Maybe the guy got confused with a future 32Gb version of the laptop ?

7. JamieW

JamieW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe wishful thinking on my part! This video also says"expandable to 16gb"

But you are right it would be in the manual.

A pity as I didn't really want to get the £1349 one just to get 16gb RAM and a mediocre SSD that I will replace in due course...

8. MosGuy

MosGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They likely meant RAM is 'upgrade-able' during the ordering process. Even with a future model, 32GB would still be soldered to the board. I doubt it will ever be user replace-able due to the size limitation. One of the reasons I still enjoy my 17" precision 6400, all parts are still modular.

9. abd_97

abd_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dell XPS 15 models also use modular memory fortunately.

10. MosGuy

MosGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To a lesser extent than some of the older dell models, yes. For example I upgraded the cpu on the 6400 from a dual core to the QX9300 quad and can replace the graphics card easily, these abilities are less common now. One of the main reasons I changed my mind from the 13 is because of the ram slots. I originally wanted the i5 FHD with 16GB if it was an option. Since it's not, the 15 is a better value for me long term. I'm sure the new 13 FHD should improve battery life, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to broadwell.