Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did the same. Did a fresh install of windows 8.1 ( copied my recovery partition to usb prior ). Downloaded the drivers off dell support site but used intels graphic driver which installed just fine. I assume if the current dell driver is installed it wont let you install Intels on top of it. The screen dimming is driving me insane. Its a ambient light sensor thing from what i've researched older dell xps had similar issues.

2. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    r0c did the older XPS's with this problem find a solution in the end? You mention you did a fresh win 8.1 install - does this now give you an option as mentioned in the other thread with turning off the automatic brightness from the charms bar that you didn't have before? Have you tried putting your finger/card over the light senser (? next to webcam) to see if the problems continue or not?

3. tocirahl

tocirahl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the intel driver provide the "Display Power-Saving Technology" option?

intel-control-panel.png

Can you take a screenshot of that section of your Intel Graphics Control Panel?

Edit: Footnote #28 from this document seems to suggest that DPST can be disabled at least on the i7-5600U (and likely other related SKUs), so if it's hardwired to "on," it's going to be either in Dell's hardware or Dell's driver.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. tocirahl

Reputations:
    I'd just like to chime in that my XPS 13 9333 did not have this problem after turning off Intel's Display Power-saving Technology. It may just be permanently enabled in the HD 5500 for some reason...

5. mva5580

mva5580 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If anyone finds a definitive solution to the ambient light sensor, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I had the brightness setting down to absolute 0 last night in bed and the screen was still brighter than what I would need it to be in the dark.

6. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    mva5580 Is it the same problem as r0c as in 'unwanted' adaptive display changes with different screens, vs you having full stable control with the brightness but it doesn't go dim enough? I am looking at the i3 version, assume you guys have the more powerful i5 and i7 versions?

7. mva5580

mva5580 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah I mean I can't say I really noticed the display changing very much when I was out in the living room in "normal" light but when I brought it to the bedroom and used it in bed with the lights out, I just found it a bit strange that having the display set at 0 brightness I still would have liked it to be dimmer in the dark.

And yes I have the i5 version.

8. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    power and sleep.png power options.PNG
    Here are both pictures.
    This is using the Intel drivers from their site.
    From what i found about prior XPS was they were disabling the ambient light sensor completely either in the bios ( which we have no option yet ) or in software, which from what i can tell i still haven't found yet. I believe there is a driver that controls this which is not the display driver. Just my guess. On a fresh install prior to any drivers the screen stayed fully bright. Hope this helps.

I have the I5 version.

9. tocirahl

Reputations:
    Hmmmm. That's very odd.

Have you tried the advice from this thread?

10. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hmm looks a good find tocirahl, interesting to know if it does the trick for r0c.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.