Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evoker

evoker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought the same way as Dextrosan about the 1600x900 resolution, and for older PCs / Notebooks of mine cutting the resolution by half always resulted in a sharp image. But on the XPS13, whether it is due to the graphics driver, Windows scaling, display scaling or whatever not, 1600x900 IS blurry. If you look closely you can see that the image is interpolated. Every logic pixel should result in 4 actual pixels of the exact same color, but that is not the case on the XPS13.

Don't get me wrong - it doesn't look bad. But it's not sharp as i hoped for. 1920x1080 looks better imho.

2. MakhouT

MakhouT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is the difference between changing resolution and windows scaling? What are the pro's and cons?

3. mrcasual

mrcasual Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I use XPS13 as a "desktop replacement". It's hooked up to my Dell 27" 4k monitor running 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz. Beautiful picture, no blur and/or scaling issues.

4. submachine

submachine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    He specifically said in the Control Panel.

5. neodata686

neodata686 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Resolution changes the actual resolution of the monitor. By default the 3200 by 1800 screen has 200-250% scaling enabled so you can actually use the computer. If you set it to 100% scaling everything is so tiny it's not usable. The issue is when you have a high DPI laptop monitor and a normal / low DPI external monitor. Windows tries to guess what the best scaling is for you and it doesn't let you individually set per monitor DPI scaling so while you need your high DPI laptop monitor to be at 150-250% scaling to actually use it (depending how you like it) that means it tries to scale the external monitor as well but does it poorly and everything appears blurry. This is a windows bug and occurs whenever scaling is set to over 100%. I've seen it on the Yoga 2 Pro, the XPS 13, the XPS 15, and all the work station Dells at my company with 3200 by 1800 screens. No one is able to get externals displays to work correctly without setting scaling to 100% (smallest dial).

^^I haven't tried it on a 4k panel yet. It's possible because BOTH your displays are high DPI the bug doesn't show itself. Basically windows is correctly scaling how it should. I'm not sure though. You may just not notice the blurryness. Some of my coworkers are just living with it. I've gone over and showed them how to fix it (changing the laptop to 1600 by 900 and setting scaling to 100%) and they're like "wow that's so much easier/better on my eyes and things are actually clear!".

Tiny_shiny_new_Laptop likes this.
  6. nedge2k

nedge2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    UK owner here (i7/8GB/256GB/QHD).

Received mine ~5 days ago and so far i'm almost completely happy with it.

Shipping: I ordered on the 9th Feb, it "shipped" on the 12th. The original ETA was the 26th but the Syncreon tracking advised delivery on the 19th and that's what happened. Tracking between the 12th and the 18th was non-existent, however.

Touchpad:
    Seemingly, as everyone is reporting, no matter what you do there is a small delay to the pointer moving vs your physical input. I've tried the control panel settings and the "charms" settings in both W8 and W10 - no dice. I also really dislike the fact the "mouse buttons" are also part of the touchpad - i.e. they are also touch sensitive - as I normally have my index finger resting on left-click and 2nd finger moving the pointer. I'd hope, should a Synaptics driver ever surface, the touch sensitive area could be adjusted to exclude the "buttons".

Content aware dimming: I've only noticed this once whilst watching a film on our projector with the lights off and the XPS screen down the minimum brightness. The rest of the time I've hardly noticed it - and i'm usually quite funny about these things. Don't let it put you off.

HiDPI: So far my only scaling issues have been minor, aside from Photoshop, where I had to create a manifest file to force scaling - which looked crap but worked. (you can use manifest files on most apps that don't scale properly).

Power/battery: I primarily use my laptops plugged into the AC with the battery removed (where possible). I liked the fact that dell gives you the option (via the BIOS or the Configure app on the support site) to have a "mainly plugged in" charging profile - which should help battery longevity.

OS: I hated W8 when the original Tech Preview was released and have run W7 ever since. I made an effort to use W8.1 but after an evening of annoyance, I wiped it and stuck W10 (9926) on - much better. It's not a finished product and there are some issues but I'm actually preferring it to W7 and better still, when it goes RTM you can upgrade over it instead of having to wipe.

Screen: Originally, I wanted the FHD i5 but I've really needed a new laptop for the last few months and who knows if/when FHD will be available in the UK so I bit the bullet and got the QHD. One word, gorgeous. Incredible viewing angles and stunning colours. When I thought about where the laptop would spend the majority of its life - indoors, plugged into the wall - I realised I could probably live without the extra battery life and anti-reflective coating and worst case scenario, I could always get a matte screen protector. My only real concern was the high res scaling issues but so far, it's not too bad, especially on W10.

Speakers: Can't believe how loud the speakers are! Even got a little bit of bass in there too.

Dimensions: Only a few mm bigger than a Macbook Air 11" - meaning lots of choice for cases :)

Originally I was holding out for the Macbook Air 12" to be announced or a Broadwell Macbook Pro as none of the Windows Ultrabooks were a match or likely to be a match for some time but as I generally hate Apple, I'm glad the XPS came to my rescue :D

adzprazolam likes this.
  7. adzprazolam

adzprazolam Newbie

Reputations:
    I have : Core i7 256gb QHD model.

Some thoughts and feelings, for those interested.

I came from a SP3 after being frustrated by the trade-off with the (clever) but ultimately flawed keyboard. This laptop was its replacement.

Input/output devices and touch:
    The keyboard, to me at least, is wonderful. Keys, whilst some have described them as 'mushy' have a perfectly acceptable level of travel and enough tactility to provide an enjoyable, accurate and quick typing experience. Soft-touch material on the palm rest obliterates any attempt apple have made at ergonomics and comfort. Metal looks cool, sure, but it ain't nowhere near as comfortable as this. I like softness. Dell is softness.

The track pad is a little like autism - sometimes you just don't know whether or not it knows you're there. Know what I mean? You know it knows your fingers are gliding frantically up and down and up and down and yet...nothing. Other times though it responds entirely disproportionately to your input and takes things a step too far. Other times, it's the trackpad from heaven. In comparison to the SP3 it's far superior. To my other lenovo - it doesn't hold a candle.

The screen is divine. Really. 1080p will now be known as the ugly cousin in the cheap suit that no one wants to talk to at the wedding. QHD is truly stunning. There are, however,, many issues with scaling which you must consider prior to purchase (more a reflection of software rather than hardware, I realize) for example Adobe audition is almost unusable at native resolution. There are also performance issues to be considered for more graphically intense ventures at that resolution. Lower the resolution, certainly. But you then trade image quality.

The small bezels, however, make for a wonderfully immersive experience for video or light gaming. The size, of course, is the real bonus of niente bezel.

I have found however that the screen is somewhat dim. I'd read people banging on about how damned bright the thing is but to my disappointment, I don't find that the case at all. In fact, contrary to what the reviewer said on the verge that "20-30% brightness was all I needed at work" I can barely see anything at this level. Maybe he worked in a dark room. Maybe he just didn't turn the lights on.

Anyone else with thoughts on this? I'm aware of the dynamic contrast issues, and have disabled all auto-brightness related features in the advanced power settings etc.

The battery has been average at best. Most I've had (considering I seem to have the brightness pumped right up almost constantly) has been at best around 4 hours of light usage on balanced power mode. Playing a little Banished in steam ran the battery flat in approx 1hr 59 mins. How dell achieved their monstrous results I'm not sure; but using a laptop at 10% brightness, battery saving mode, wifi and Bluetooth turned off is not a pleasant experience no matter how long the battery lasts. Id rather play with a dead squirrel.

Sound - I get crackling from the (albeit) very loud speakers. Not sure if that's normal or not? As soon as my volume hits around 60-70 percent there is noticeable distortion and crackling. Other than that, they sound about as fine as any laptop speakers. No bass, all treble, but plenty loud. But no one expected much more, right?

Had huge problems with windows indexing - but a re-install of windows seems to have fixed it. Strange.

Performance is stellar. Complex photoshop filters, large file transfers, wi-fi speeds and over-all speediness (thats a word now) seem great. To be expected with this spec, I guess.

You won't need an old pack-mule to carry it around - it's small, light, sexy stylish and basically great. It hasn't however delivered on everything I'd hoped but then again, how many devices ever really do that.

P.S has anyone been able to get the windows 10 technical preview installed with working hd5500 drivers??

Rant complete.

8. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any word on when the Linux edition will be released?

9. MakhouT

MakhouT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes but if you change your resolution you still have 3200 by 1800 physical pixels. So that's why I'm asking what the difference is betweens scaling and changing the resolution. I think I don't quite understand it yet because if changing the resolution and/or scaling it up, what's the point in having a high res display?

10. Keeper151

Keeper151 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's not just screen real estate, it is also screen clarity. That is the point of the higher resolution screens. Tex is clearer, web pages look nicer, etc. Real estate is a big bonus but not the only thing that makes the higher DPI panels worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.