Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flatsix911

flatsix911 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try TouchFreeze 1.1.0,
    A Utility for Windows that disables touchpad automatically while you are typing text in order to prevent mistyping or other related problems TouchFreeze Download - Softpedia

2. soleblaze

soleblaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link. In linux you can use syndaemon to do something similar, although it didn't seem to work properly for me. I ended up disabling tap to click since I don't normally use that anyways.

If anyone else is working on this in Linux I've put up my synaptic xorg conf file: https://gist.github.com/soleblaze/975bc2b0e5e69137fd08. The key part seems to be telling linux it's a clickpad and not a normal touchpad with buttons.

I'm trying to figure out how to disable the auto dimming/brightning of the display in Linux.

3. soleblaze

Reputations:
    According to the data sheet (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/product/Datasheet_PM851_25_v10.pdf) the 128 maxes out at about 140, the 256 is 270. And the 512 is 410.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got mine today, config is i5 with 8GB RAM, 1080p screen and 256GB SSD. I think I wanna return this thing, it has a few gripes that I don't think I can cope with:
    1) Touchpad input lag, and yes I disabled the delay in the options, but it is still there. It is annoying and bothers me non-stop during usage. Trying to do small and precise movements is especially aggravating.
    2) The screen does indeed do some weird brightness/contrast auto adjustment, despite all options for the screen being turned off (both in Windows settings as well as all the various things in the Intel Graphics Control Panel). Switch from a dark background to a light background and watch the brightness ramp up, and vice versa.
    3) System wouldn't let me update the Intel graphics driver (v4080 was just released last week, my system has v3960 installed), saying I need to get it from Dell. There are probably ways around this, but why should I have to deal with that. Why shouldn't the official WHQL drivers I download direct from Intel be worthy?

Since this is my first time buying from Dell, can anyone tell me about their return policy if I am unsatisfied with my purchase? Their website says that they might hit me with a 15% restocking fee, do they always do that? If I call and complain about the janky touchpad and the stupid auto-adjusting screen brightness (meaning I have actual reasons for wanting to return it), will they waive that fee?

5. Xenograph

Xenograph Newbie

Reputations:
    Replacing what exactly?

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on running arch on mine as well.

6. jim1123

jim1123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is the only thing holding me back on getting one of these are the touchpad reports. I don't see a Mac in your sig but I wonder if some of the other complaints regarding touchpad problems as because of folks upgrading coming from the Mac's great touchpad to the standard 'crappier' windows touchpad. I assume all your previous laptops in the sig ran windows so you may have already accounted for this.

I can handle the brightness changes as I would be in word for hours, or watching movies.

8. soleblaze

Reputations:
    The wireless card. I ordered an Intel 7260, which I should get tomorrow. I'll report back on whether it works or not. The broadcom-wl driver is working fine with the BCM4352 card, but I'd prefer to use something that doesn't need a driver from the AUR.

9. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've never used a Mac's trackpad, so I can't compare, but with all my other Windows laptops, input lag was never an issue. It was, of course, other things like tracking accuracy or whatnot, so that's why I was looking forward to this supposedly better one in the XPS13.

I'm going to try installing bone-stock Windows 8.1 to see if these issues might be Dell pre-installed software messing with things.

10. tylerwatt12

tylerwatt12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To clarify on the trackpad
    The lag i'm seeing is only when i'm using Chrome or Firefox, IE does not have this problem at all.
    The Macbooks have sort of the same thing with Safari, being much smoother and lighter on the battery than chrome.

Now with how precise the trackpad is, it depends on how you click on things. If you touch/tap(not press down) to click, you won't have a problem with accuracy.
    If you actually press down on the trackpad to click, accuracy will be bad. Not sure why, but having more than 1 finger on the touchpad reduces sensitivity, and increases latency to mouse movement.

It's very different than the Macbook air touchpad, the macs had no issue with me having one finger on the button part, and the other moving the cursor around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.