Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I managed to get 13 hours and 23 minutes out of the battery. All I had to do was turn on power saver mode, turn the brightness all the way down, turn off bluetooth and Wi-fi and leave it completely idle at the lock screen. Made a great clock! :D

I was really hoping to find out where they got 15 hours from.

EmJayPrice and dtblair24 like this.
  2. ciaspook

ciaspook Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my XPS 13 on Thursday. Got the top model with i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD and QHD. Installed win10 test on it. Love the display. The keyboard and touchpad is OK, hope they can fix the touchpad issues with a driver/firmware update.

3. Overtheroad

Overtheroad Newbie

Reputations:
    Received my new XPS 13 on Wednesday.

UK. Top spec i7. 256gb.

I've found that the fan is kicking in when I put the laptop to sleep and often it won't wake up from sleep, requiring several long presses on the power button to, I assume, completely reboot the machine.

Anyone else encountering this?

4. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't read thru this whole thread to see how many others ordered the i3. I commented on it a while back, I thought I was the only cheapskate to get the i3 :p so I kept it to myself and let Dell figure it out. Someone opened a new thread about this so I let it out. Dell still needs to come up with a more permanent fix.

Those who have the i3 and is slow as poop, see my post here for the "fix". As I said in that post, I found this fix minutes after receiving my i3 but I didn't share this "fix" with Dell. They need to work on another fix.

XPS 13 i3 performance

5. jedolley

jedolley Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I posted this in the WiFi problems thread, but figured it might be useful here as well (to users that have the 1560 card)

When I uninstalled just the WiFi device (check box to uninstall driver software), the bluetooth device remains and Windows installs the drivers it has for the device. It now shows as a Broadcom Wireless 1560ac and it now shows 5ghz networks.

6. infzy

infzy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just got my new XPS 13. Love the laptop, but there's one critical flaw, so I'm going to have to return it.
    The input devices. The keyboard and trackpad are both abysmal. How do people use these things??
    Anytime I click the trackpad the cursor jumps. It's just impossible to use safely. I think I simply require dedicated buttons, because this is absurd.....
    The keyboard action is way too short; when I'm typing fast (I type fast) I can't tell if I hit a key or not, I constantly have to backspace. The keys are smaller than my old 11.6" netbook. I'm super disappointed, because the XPS 12 keyboard is sooo good in comparison. I wish the 13 was thicker even just to accommodate a better keyboard.
    Definitely going to return it, not sure what to get instead though.

7. Ieuan

Ieuan Newbie

Reputations:
    So... had my XPS 13 since about the 6th Feb, and use it for work and pleasure. Core i7, 8GB , 512 SSD and the QHD touch screen. Previously used a MacBook Pro 13 Retina.

First impressions - extremely attractive laptop visually, quality construction. Nice and small and very light. Decent keyboard.

Touchpad actually works really well. However in Chrome browser the two fingered scrolling is really jerky. Found myself switching to IE where the scrolling works as you would expect. Not had any problems with the touchpad that others have experienced.

Touchscreen - works really well, and definitely makes getting around the OS (Windows 8.1 Pro) easier. Only problem I'm experiencing is in IE when I use the screen to scroll, I frequently find that the page ends up zooming in/out which is annoying. Not sure how to prevent this.

QHD screen - screen looks awesome. If there's any funny dimming business going on, I've not noticed it!

Extended displays - at the office I'm running two flat panels from the Dell D3100 docking station. However I find that on the extended displays text and the like looks less clear / faint and slightly blurred in comparison to my previous work laptop which was 6 years old but only running Windows 7 and was not high resolution. Another major issue is that the scaling means that on the extended displays, certain applications such as IE have a title bar that takes up about a quarter of the screen!! I don't know why this is happening. Can post a screenshot for anyone interested.

Battery life - generally pretty good although nowhere close to what official figures are. I estimate I'm getting about 6 hours of continual web browsing usage. Having some issues with it seemingly depleting fast in sleep mode (probably related to wifi problem below).

Bad points - watching a 1080p movie in iTunes I can see noticeable judder on panning scenes etc. Also with iTunes and particularly noticeable when wearing headphones I can hear a "popping" / glitch noise regularly.

Also had an issue with Wifi where laptop could not see any networks when coming out of sleep mode. I have a fix for this from Dell but which I think causes the battery to deplete faster in sleep mode.

The 512GB SSD I though would be PCIe but appears to be normal SATA.

Finally, the laptop often feels slow (even typing this there is noticeable lag). I am using the standard "Dell" power plan on battery, and this plan appears to limit the amount of CPU. 4GB of RAM is nearly always used, both Chrome and IE easily take about 400MB each.

Overall a great laptop - probably my biggest issues being the iTunes problem and general slowness.

8. Ieuan

Ieuan Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same problem. But in addition, the window bar for certain applications is MASSIVE in IE and other applications. It's as though the 250% scaling (for the QHD screen) is also being applied.

9. Keeper151

Keeper151 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not sure if this is just an issue with my machine or just the way it looks because of the corning glass that is put on these things. But it looks like there is some texture to my screen, so it does not look as clear as I think that it should I had another IGZO display on my Razer Blade and it did not look like this, but it also did not have that protective glass as well. It is a beautiful screen, but I don't have another machine to compare it to, so thought I would check.

10. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    One thing disappointed about the keyboard:

After just weeks of small usage (this is used few hrs a day at most..), the paint on the space bar starts wearing away.

I remember the Latitude keyboards from 2009-2010 having exceptionally strong paint that took at least months for this kind of usage sign..

No, it is NOT greese. I cleaned it. It truly is paint wearing away, making that shiny spot on the keyboard.

Darn shame to see a back move. But then again, the previous gen XPS didn't have as robust paint anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.