Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Use HWINFO. Under the monitor tab, you can see all the informantion.

Sorry, my text is super small from improper scaling. Win 10 doesn't fix any of the scaling issues, btw, in case anyone was wondering.

Attached Files:

2. Andrew7783

Andrew7783 Newbie

Reputations:
    I still say that battery wear measurements on such a new battery are meaningless. Even at its best, BatteryBar just offers an estimate. For instance, on my current laptop it fluctuates from day to day, and even varies depending on which user profile I'm logged in as. Tell me how the battery could have degraded 14% for one user profile and 17% for another?
    But speaking of battery life, can anyone comment on the hours of use they are getting out of the QHD model? Reviewers are giving quite a wide range, some saying they only get 5 to 6 hours of moderate use, others saying 8 or 9.
    Also, how does Dell (or the Microsoft store?) handle battery replacements down the line? Usually I'm ready for a brand new laptop well before the battery of my current one is useless, but I usually buy budget laptops that I don't mind replacing in 2 years. If I invest in something this high-end, I'll want to squeeze more years out of it.

3. dtblair24

dtblair24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok I checked the monitor info and they are the same part. Anyone have any other ideas to explain this? Do screens maybe require a break-in period or is there something I am missing on the software side that would cause this difference?

It snit the most crucial thing in the world but side by side with my other system there is a very noticeably difference. Just not sure if I want to play around with the replacement game and end up getting a computer with an entirely different issue.

4. Derek712

Reputations:
    If it's the same panel, it's either not calibrated or it was calibrated differently. Try swapping the color profile from one unit to another. You can Google where to find the files and how to load them onto a new machine. It could also be Intel Graphcis settings are different. Might want to compare those as well.

5. Derek712

Reputations:
    I think you're going to see a bigger range of battery usages out there and Marketing is always going to be high. If you compare the same Haswell gen with it's Broadwell successor, the TDP is the same. The only difference is the the cTDP down is 7.5 watts instead of 11.5 watts(i5-4200U vs i5-5200U). Intel also doesn't post their cTDP up for the Broadwell CPU, but it's safe to assume it's a little lower than Haswell(or they're actually able to get 15Watts at turbo boost, which would be great). So in English, if you're constantly working and your laptop gets too hot where turboboost is stuck off, and you don't idle - you'll probably get nearly the exact battery life that you did with the Haswell predecessor. Where the power savings are is with idle speeds, you're getting a 4 watt break. There's also the unknown power savings from operating in turbo boost.

To sum up, people who use their Ultrabook for constant work are likely going to see the least battery improvement over Haswell and will probably have numbers in the 5 to 6 hour range(which was considered good for Haswell)
    People who occasionally browse the net, have periods where their laptop is idle and watch movies that aren't processor intensive will benefit most from the Broadwell architecture and will get an extra 1-2 hours.
    There's also the standard variances in battery life to consider: bluetooth, screen brightness(huge player) turning off touchpad, Wifi(some actually turn it off for savings). People who operate at minimalist levels are likely the ones getting 8-10 hours.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    For more precise battery use measurement I recommend Battery Info View . It provides real time measurements in increments as small as 15 seconds and, while they may not be perfectly accurate as to consumption in the absolute, they are definitely accurate relative to each other - eg, if you measure usage with screen at full brightness, then drop it down to 50%, the relative change will be accurate. Overall it's a great tool and far better than Battery Bar. It's only shortcoming is it doesn't have a widget in the taskbar to show remaining life at a glance, you have to click on its icon to get that. I run BB as well just for that feature.

7. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I have considered that and done it in the past, but it doesn't seem very useful in this case. I'd go for the 8GB, 256GB, 1080p model, which is about US$1100. That's NZ$1500 in my currency. Add $50 or so for shipping. Then there's import taxes of 15%, which brings it up to over $NZ1700, vs local price of $1999, and I get no warranty, which sounds like a bad idea given how many people are returning theirs. Just isn't worth it.

It might have been worth it a few weeks ago when the NZD was a lot stronger against the USD.

But yes I do import a lot of smaller things from the USA all the time, as if the import taxes are less than $60, it get's written off and you don't have to pay anything. So works well for cheaper things, not so much for expensive things.

8. Robert Francis

Robert Francis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

Does anyone know how to boot into the BIOS on the 'Signature' edition of the XPS 13 (2015) -- I have the i5 version, 4 gigs, matte screen.

I've tried holding down F2 alone or F2+Fn, and I've also tried F1, F11, and F12 alone and in combo with the Fn key -- and every time, it boots right into Windows...

(I just want to swap the control and function keys - so if there's an easier way to do this without going into the BIOS that would be good too.)

Thanks!

9. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    check if you see something in windows mobility center [WINDOWS LOGO ON KEYB. + X]

10. Derek712

Reputations:
    If you're on Windows 8, you can enter it through advanced startup settings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.