Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerodeefex

zerodeefex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. bamboozl

bamboozl Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!

I just wanted to share my experience so far, as I'm very happy with my unit. I ordered the UK version (QHD, i7-5600U, 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD) as soon as it was available and have been using the laptop for almost a week now.

I DO NOT have the dynamic contrast issue. Using the following test I am not able to see the fade-in described: http://tylerwatt12.com/dc/
    If it's happening and I can't see it then most people really won't have an issue with it (I understand that if you edit photo/video it would be a massive pain, don't get me wrong). If it really isn't happening then I'm very curious why my unit, this particular configuration or perhaps even all UK models do not have this issue.

The screen is beautiful, touch is great fun, battery life is OK (under mixed use I'm seeing about 7 hours, though I haven't really taken it through it's paces yet). I'm having no trouble with the trackpad under windows 8 (there is a slight delay, though you can fiddle with it in the settings)

The best part is that running a Fedora 21 (Linux) live disk EVERYTHING other than sound works out of the box. I have heard suspicions that this configuration is likely to be sold as the developer edition, and it does, for no apparent reason, have an Intel wireless card instead of the standard Broadcom. The trackpad in particular was nicer to use under Linux than under Windows, which I'm very pleased with.

So if you are still considering buying, despite a lot of negative feedback here on the forum, then it might help to hear that I'm experiencing none of the issues mentioned above, other than missing audio support under Linux. If you're one of the people who has been having issues, then you're probably just as curious as me as to why there appear to be such disparities in quality.

Cheers!

3. Digital Moe

Digital Moe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For the issue with the screen if you don't notice it don't hop looking for it and you will most likely never witness it. But it is there I have a UK model and noticed it the other night. I don't edit photos or video and it really seems to happen in certain lighting conditions.

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's so subtle, I can see why so many think they don't have the issue. Best way to see it is to have word or notepad open full screen in the with some text to read. After a minute, open a browser and try to find a webpage with a black or really dark background. Stay there for a minute or two and then minimize it. Your white word document will be dim at first and will start to brighten up slowly. It's really subtle and it's more apparent to see in my bright office than at home. I'm guessing it's firmware related and has something to do with the IGZO screen. I already ruled out Intel, so that leaves Dell to update the bios(UEFI)

5. bamboozl

bamboozl Newbie

Reputations:
    The test I have linked replicates these conditions, neither I nor my girlfriend can see any dimming/undimming. I wouldn't claim I don't have the issue if I weren't reasonably confident I didn't, which is why I'm so curious if there might be any differences between units.

6. zerodeefex

zerodeefex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I was quoted that it was in stock (no preorder timeline) and ordered on Wednesday. Fast forward to today and it still hasn't shipped. When I try to log in to my order history, I can't get in either. MS has a terrible web store. It's one of the least functional I've used when purchasing such big ticket items.

7. MikeTLB

MikeTLB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have any problems with battery wear? My unit is less than a month old and the battery's max capacity is already down to only 50.2 Wh. Was 52.6 out of the box...

8. cipsaz

cipsaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Damn, I want this laptop so bad, but its $800 USD device with the 4GB of RAM. Sorry Dell, it's 2015 and not 2007 when I got a Penryn with that much of memory... We'll see what the new Macbook Air brings.

9. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Consider yourself lucky you get it that cheap, these are my options from the New Zealand Dell store :(:

[​IMG]

10. Andrew7783

Andrew7783 Newbie

Reputations:
    You can't judge battery wear based on a month of normal use. It may appear to drop off quickly but then not change after a long while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.