Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dscott1027

dscott1027 Newbie

Reputations:
    It's under PC settings, devices, mouse/track pad

on another note has anyone had issues using the "swipe in from the left" gesture. On all other windows 8 devices It would just switch the app but on this it simply brings up the open app list. I saw there was a setting for it but changing it doesnt seem to do anything..

2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have never gotten a delay from ms. They always have shipped either same or next day. In this case, their listing said 7-10 days but they got it out in 2.

3. Andre Hendarman

Andre Hendarman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Be careful opening the back lid. Ifixit has a guide but what they don't say is the clips are really hard to pop. I ended up breaking one of them in the back while opening mine. No big deal but you can do some damage there if you're not careful.

Dellienware and zerodeefex like this.
  4. Derek712

Reputations:
    Yes, I have the same issue. The options you are referring to control the touchscreen, not the trackpad. My swipe from the left on the trackpad brings up a recents list and there's no way to change it.

Crap, I didn't realize that's where the settings were. That reinforces even more that this trackpad is neither Synaptics or Elan. I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't figure out why else none of those drivers will work. So we're pretty much now at Microsoft's mercy to change their drivers and add three and four finger swipe gestures. This could seriously be the perfect Ultrabook for me but I'm really hung up on that and the 200 nit screen...

5. Derek712

Reputations:
  6. cipsaz

cipsaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How is this laptop for Capture One or Adobe Lightroom?

7. Andre Hendarman

Reputations:
    I have the i5/8G/256G/1080p version and use both Lightroom and capture one. I edit raw file from Canon 5D3 and Fuji X-E2.
    Overall I'm happy with them performance, no problem in loading and basic editing. Brushes can be a bit slow but manageable.

The only problem is that the screen changes brightness depends on the content of the screen (adaptive brightness that can't be turned off). So adjusting exposure/ shadow/ highlight is challenging. I will say that it's almost impossible to do this for any serious work. I am using external monitor anyway so it doesn't bother me much.

It's a nice laptop with one glaring weakness. I hope Dell can fix this soon.

8. cipsaz

cipsaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What refresh rate do you get when hooked up to an external monitor? I'm planning to use it along with the 27" Dell monitor.

Is the fan really loud as people say?

How is the performance? My desktop is the 2500K clocked to 4.7Ghz/8GB RAM/SSD. The RAW performance a bit struggles sometimes. Should I expect about the same performance of the Dell XPS?

Thanks

9. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    1. It will depend on your external monitor. 60-75hz usually.
    2. Fan gets loud for an ultrabook. So using as something external, psychologically speaking, shouldn't be that bad
    3. You are comparing a 2007 Prius engine with a 2010 7-Series. The processing power on this will be literally NOTHING compared to a overclocked desktop quad core, even if it is from couple years back.

10. Andre Hendarman

Reputations:
    I am using Dell U2412M 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz. It should be no problem driving 2560x1440 @60Hz
    The fan is loud, but rarely turned on unless you're playing games. The fan will also turn on more often in the first few days as Windows indexing, downloading etc. It'll get better over time.

I only have a late 2013 13" retina Macbook pro as comparison. It has comparable component and it performs almost the same. I don't have a desktop for a long time, so I wouldn't know. Both of my computers give me acceptable performance for the raw files from my cameras. I would imagine it'll struggle with the upcoming 5DS 50MP :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.