Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtblair24

dtblair24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am also receiving mine earlier than their estimates.
    I ordered mine the evening of Feb 3rd and looks like it shipped Feb 12th and should be here tomorrow the 13th.

I was starting to grow impatient but 10 day turnaround is not too bad I guess. In the age of amazon's super fast shipping I have been spoiled, but this is much better than the Feb 26th estimate they gave me. Guess they like to play it safe and under promise.

2. AKmotorider

AKmotorider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I have plenty of "space," so to speak, because of the high-res; but in order to have enough "space" on a 13" screen, everything has to be smaller. If that makes sense. Take a look at this image. It has a resolution of 1920 x 1080. If you have a 13" screen (with 1080p res), you'll see what I mean. Scale it to size. Again, though, it's really crisp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  3. AKmotorider

AKmotorider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which is exactly why I don't understand it's supposed nature as a "problem."

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Has anyone gotten any generic Synaptics drivers to work with Win 8.1?

5. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not yet, but not for a lack of trying. I managed to get the os to stop recognizing the touchpad as a precision pad, and did a force install of the synaptics drivers. The device starts just fine, but the synaptics software doesn't run. The result is a pad that lacks the point accuracy of the precision pad, and no more options than before from synaptics :(

6. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just got this and will start messing with it as well. Can you tell me how you managed to disable it? I see these Microsoft drivers, but disabling them does nothing. I've dealt with dozens of laptops and never had to deal with this before. It's as if they just forgot to give us drivers and the system is picking up some generic MS driver.

Are we sure it's a Synaptics trackpad? I read back in the thread and everyone talks about it but I don't know how anyone found out what brand it was.

7. Zohar

Zohar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Photo work is impossible. You can't calibrate the panel, as the auto-brightness messes up the calibration process, and on top of that you can't tell if a picture is correctly exposed, and/or adjust the exposition.
    Seeing it yourself as a non problem doesn't mean it's not a problem for others.

8. gottria

gottria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thinking of ordering the non touch version with 8 Pro and 8gb ram and leaving the 128gb SSD and ordering the Transcend 512 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS800 80 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS512GMTS800 from Amazon for $203. I don't know much about SSD but I need a bit more than 256gb right now. I carry a lot of large service manuals and with 256gb doesn't leave me room to grow.

9. clabern

clabern Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was considering ordering the same SSD. My only concern is the height of that one. The Samsung drive that comes in the notebook is only 2.3mm, whereas the Transcend is 3.5mm. I'm still waiting on my actual notebook to ship first though.

10. gottria

gottria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think we might be OK at .2 mm difference. with the way it mounts on the boark I'm sure there is .2mm clearance with the back cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.