Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    No longer issue. Had to mess around with Dell audio software settings. This one is on me.

The below post is non valid. Make sure you don't disable Dell audio on startup!

Headset Issue:

Ok. So when I plug in the earphone, the sound still comes out from the speakers.

I disabled and re-enabled the audio drivers and it worked, until I put it to sleep. So everytime it goes to sleep, the same issue. This is with clean Win 8.1 install.

Pretty sure it's a software thing, since when it works, the 3.5mm jack sounds just fine.

I will just have to call up Dell and ask what's going on.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Make sure your using the newest audio drivers, dated Jan 29th!

3. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    This one is on me! I had to work with the Dell audio software settings and make sure computer realize that what I plugged in was an earphone.

Yes, very unnecessary... But good audio! Both headphone and speakers!

4. GeorgeCat

GeorgeCat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've noticed that Chrome starts using so many resources that my touchpad keeps cutting out for a minute or two, even with just a few tabs open. I recall this happened a few times on my Samsung ATIV 9 Plus, but not as frequently as it seems to be happening now (I have the i7, 8GB 9343). I think I improved it somewhat on the Samsung by increasing the process priority for the touchpad, but I can't find where to do that on my XPS.

Has anyone else come across this? What browsers are you guys using?

Good extension/addon support is pretty important, I used Firefox for a short time last year and there wasn't a good HoverZoom alternative.

5. brewmastr

brewmastr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I recieved my dell xps13 yesterday, i7 version, noticed a small gap in the mating surfaces of the case, removed the aluminum bottom of the laptop to find battery screws loose and the sd card reader unplugged... i cleaned it all up and its perfect now, but not very impressed with that from a build standpoint.

6. Op10Myzation

Op10Myzation Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my XPS 13 2015 yesterday. After 60 min use I must say I am very disappointed.

My spec; i7-5500U, QHD+(3200 x 1800) infinity touch display, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, DW 1560 Wireless.

1. Fan Noise is the worst I have ever had on any laptop. CPU temps at 50 % load is 80 C ++. Fan spins up and down every 5-10 sec under load and the fan noise itself sound metallic. Really really bad.

2. Battery life is supposed to be 10+ hrs with my spec. According to Windows I have 4,2 hrs at 100 % battery. Not even 50 % of what Dell claims.

Anyone else that got these issues?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  7. f00bar

f00bar Newbie

Reputations:
    i7/8GB/256GB version

My XPS13 is quite silent. The fan goes on once in a while, if I have a bunch of things running, but nothing much, but maybe it's because of the current low ambient temperature.

Regarding the battery life, I can get to the 10+ hrs if I leave it on standby, but that's worth nothing. Web browsing and some youtube playing, I get it to ~5/6 hrs on minimum screen brightness.

The biggest issue for me is the touchpad: it jumps if you slightly touch it with another finger and worst of all, scrolling on Firefox/Chrome is just awful. The second issue, it has a bad support for Linux. These are the reasons why I'm thinking about returning it. Otherwise, I love it: it seems to have a good build quality, the screen is just fantastic and it's super stylish. Not to mention the specs. I'm currently 50/50 on returning it. My "idea" is to return it and buy it again when they launch the Ubuntu version, because when they do, Linux will have at least a good support and I hope an even better one for Windows, including the touchpad fix.

8. hbk5585

hbk5585 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    These are exactly my issues with mine....I have the i5 QHD+ display & my two issues so far are the battery and fan. When the display is on, the battery drains faster than anything i've ever seen!! And as soon as you do something even remotely intensive, like opening up chrome, the fan comes on full blast and never lets up!!! I'm hoping they address these 2 things...because it is a beautiful machine otherwise, the screen is gorgeous and responsive, good keyboard...the touchpad has its pros and cons...I find clicking something very specific could sometimes be fine, but other times be very cumbersome...

Oh, and the WiFi seems to be slower than on my older laptop....I have a 75MB download speed from Fios & while my old laptop routinely would hit 80+, this fails to get above 50...I find that pretty strange that my 7 year old laptop has faster wifi speeds than 1 day old dell xps13...anyone else have slow WiFi problems?

Those are just my takeaways....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  9. Op10Myzation

Op10Myzation Newbie

Reputations:
    I captured the noise with the camera on my mobile phone. Take a look at this a judge for yourself.

10. bamaster

bamaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do you know what battery life is if you've only had it 60 minutes?

My fan was loud the first couple days. After all the updates and whatnot, it settled down. Now it's mostly silent.

Be smart with your power profiles. I use BatteryBarPro and it switches power profiles when I plugin or plug out. Plugged in, I'm using High Performance. Unplugged, I use Power Saver. And I stopped using Chrome, only using IE now. So far, unplugged I'm around 7-8 hours or so at around 40% brightness. I'm pretty happy with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.