Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mva5580

mva5580 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 15 hour number was never stated for the QHD+ screen, it was for the 1080p screen. They claim 12 hours for the QHD 3200 x 1800 screen, which in the real world probably means closer to 9. If the 1080p version can pull around 12 hours I will be absolutely thrilled with it.

2. tylerwatt12

tylerwatt12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This guy got 12 hours looping a youtube video at 1/2 brightness + wifi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFhoMyQHH3A

Digitaltrends reviewed the QHD+ model it with 9:25 running a benchmark:

I asked someone on dell forums with the 1080P model what he thought of the battery: Forums - Laptop - Dell Community

3. tkuhe

tkuhe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got a call from our Microsoft store saying they now have the i7 Touchscreen 256gb in stock. I am going to check it out on Wednesday.

4. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    IF someone would PLEASE test a or any Linux distribution on this? Just plop it onto a flashdrive. My wallet is screaming at me.

5. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    I think that one thing Dell missed, again, is that the charging speed will be ridiculously slow. That has been the case for the past three generations. Packing meager 45w charger, when you are working with decent load, it will take you a few hours to get to 100% charge from full depletion. I remember it being like 2.5hrs or so on the last gen.

I get that they want small charger, but what Lenovo did with their charging scheme is to be followed. It needs at least 65w to ensure that you can get at least 80% under one hr while working with heavy load on the machine.

They kept the good work with the keyboard, added SD card slot, kept the carbon fiber, IMPROVED upon the already thin bezel and definitely went out to fix the touchpad fiasco. I think for the next gen XPS, they MUST fix this too slow charging scheme. For a portable machine, the capacity for faster charging is ever more important!

Two things are must for next gen:
    1. Option for 16gb ram
    2. Faster charging

Then, you will have THE perfect laptop/ultrabook that Dell can easily charge $2,000 for top configuration. That will be THE "PERFECT" model.

aBs0lut3z33r0 likes this.
  6. flatsix911

flatsix911 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Easy fix if you are still concerned about battery life ...
    just add a Dell Power Companion and you get up to 22 hours and the ability to power all of your USB devices. :thumbsup:

Dell 12,000 mAh Portable Power Companion - PW7015M : PC Accessories | Dell

[​IMG]

xps power.JPG

7. soleblaze

soleblaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have one on order and I'll be throwing arch on it as soon as I get it. However, that probably won't be for another week.

However, they are planning on updating the developer edition with this version. There won't be any hardware differences and it will use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Its supposed to be released sometime in February.

8. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, does anyone know how to disable the annoying ambient light sensor ? Not the power plan settings for adaptive display. Example on a dark website or scene it dulls the brightness then switching to a white scene it brightens back up.

9. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    this thread is having similar problems so worth a read? Not sure if they found the answer yet. Ignore the title!
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/769312-burning-smell-new-xps-13-a.html

10. tocirahl

tocirahl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That doesn't actually have to do with the ambient light sensor. You can find the option to turn that off under the Intel Graphics Control Panel > Power Options. I think it's called "Display Power Saving Technology" or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.