Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zohar

Zohar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you 100% positive that it's disabled? Cause I've been doing this in the power settings to no avail. I don't have access to the Intel display power saving features in the Intel display control panel : do you use the last version of the drivers that have been updated yesterday? (9343_Video_Driver_MD9FG_WN_10.18.10.4013_A01.EXE)
    I'm at work right now, so I can't do any test :(

Thanks!

2. droyder

droyder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Obviously you're a Dell guy, but if using Win 7 is the top priority for you, would you consider a different OEM that have Win 7 models?

3. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    I was indeed in the market for a new laptop, until this XPS came out.

Well every other models are extremely ugly and just embarrassing to use. Design is such a big thing for me. Yeah I go for the dumb but hot blondes.

I am on the phone with Dell right now. The dude doesn't sound so smart, but he is saying that Win 7 isn't fully officially supported. Hmm!

Going to install Win 8 when the CD comes next week.

Yea. Goodbye Win 7. I guess this is how Microsoft makes people to force into Win 8. Mess with their touchpads!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes we have done all of this, even test the newest driver just a few minutes ago. In the previous pages of this thread are our findings. Again, there is a difference between display brightness, video driver power savings and the dimming that is occurring.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Dell-XPS-13-2015.htm
    "Dell claims high brightness and indeed the panel looks bright, though it was impossible to accurately measure with our Spyder Pro colorimeter since the panel dynamically adjusts brightness in zones and for certain colors to save power (this isn't the same thing as auto-brightness or ambient light sensor brightness that can be easily disabled)."

5. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell's "updated" v4018 GPU drivers do not address the auto contrast issue. Why even bother with releasing that when Intel's official latest v4080 was released like a couple weeks ago. It's not like they customized the driver in any way or that it needs to be tested for compatibility when the HD 5500 in the XPS13 is bog standard. Except for one thing: Dell locked out the option to control what would normally be present in the Intel graphics control panel: "Display Power Saving Technology" aka dynamic contrast adjustment.

I noticed this issue (along with the touchpad small movement input delay) within 5 minutes of turning the machine on. How does this stuff get past teams of engineers and product developers/testers? I can go insane just wondering WHY WHY WHY.

Zohar likes this.
  6. Zohar

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm clearly thinking about returning the laptop if this auto-contrast issue is not adressed in the next few days. It's such a shame because it's a near perfect device! Let's hope for the best.

7. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure Microsoft deliberately screws up with touchpads on Win7. Synaptics drivers is pretty generic, but just does not work. It's so random too.. But it is 100% software issue at this point that I can tell.

All Dell said was since the machine does not officially support Win 7, absolutely nothing that they can do. I will try to continue fixing this horrendous touchpad situation this weekend. If I fail, I will have to move on to the Win 8 unfortunately..

8. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I will ask question (again), since it was not explicitly answered. Some people seem have (or just notice?) the auto-dimming issue, other's don't.

Maybe there is a correlation between screen option QHD vs 1080p and the dimming? Can some people having and not-having the issue say which screentype we have; this helps finding the source of the issue (as well prevent potential buyers of buying the problematic type)

Thanks!

vayu64 likes this.
  9. hugodlr

hugodlr Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Zohar

Reputations:
    Both 1080p and 3600x1800 versions suffer the auto-contrast issue. I'm pretty sure every new XLS 13 is impacted.
    It seems to be hardware or firmware related : I guess a BIOS update could fix it, we just have to wait and see what Dell is eager to do about it.

r0c likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.