Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zohar

Zohar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I received the i3 version from Dell today. Someone at the engineering team seriously didn't pay attention - the CPU is firmly stuck at 500MHz. I knew right away something wasn't right. It took like 2 minutes from creating my ID to getting to the desktop. Went straight to view the winsat score. The CPU score is a 4.1, what??? Then I confirmed that no matter what I do the CPU is stuck at 500MHz.

This will be fun trying to explain it to Dell support..

PS everything is set the same in the BIOS as the i5, except of course there's no turbo boost being an i3. I guess Haswell i3 is forever stuck at the base clock without turbo boost.

For those contemplating on ordering, go with the i5.

3. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep. definitely not a UK/European layout as there's no key between the left shift and the Z key.

Pleased to see my XPS 13 has shipped although the courier company doesn't know where Scotland is so based on my last few deliveries they'll lose it a few times before it finally gets going in the right direction..very much hoping that doesn't happen this time as it usually delays it by two to four weeks.

John

4. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
  5. Stochastic1

Stochastic1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I'm still enjoying the laptop at the moment. I have a few questions/concerns:

1) Where can we order replacement batteries in the future? I'd like to keep this laptop for at least 4 years, meaning that I'll probably need to replace the battery in 2-3 years time.

2) I'm using the Dell Command Power Manager to keep the battery from charging beyond 80% (to prolong battery health). Is it fine to keep the laptop plugged in with it set to 80% as a charging ceiling? What I don't want happening is the battery constantly topping off every time it loses 1-2% charge. Ideally it would just use AC power and not use the battery at all.

3) Is it okay to use the laptop on a bed/blanket since the fan vents are located on its underside?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  6. lirux

lirux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    FURTHER UPDATE 2 (Windows 7):

After updating all drivers (OS re-installed) and entire windows update, I had the laptop on sleep overnight.

Upon resume, the touchpad is in the same situation of reverting into weird settings, and I cannot change back any settings. It won't save the settings.

So I am stuck with the SAME situation. Will just call up Dell today and see what's up.

Until then, Windows 7 continues to be a plague..

8. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got mine (2 of them) from the MS Store and both have had the color dimming issue/feature.

Zohar likes this.
  9. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had such high hopes lol. Im sure Dell will release updated drivers soon.

10. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I fixed this by disabling adaptive brightness in power options, in addition to disabling the Intel display power saving features. power.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.