Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dextrosan

Dextrosan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    MikeTLB, I don't believe your statement to be entirely accurate. First of all extrahardware.cz is quite a respectable site in Czech republic and I think there is no reason for them to fabricate such results. In the article they claim that battery results don't differ much when displaying static content (I guess something like reading PDF or word editing) but when the screen displays dynamic content they vary a lot.

From the article:

"All the measurements were done on ultrabook Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro in the position „stand“ – the keyboard was surface down and the display rotated backwards, open to 270 °. Updated Google Chrome in Windows 8.1 mode was used (which is compatible with high DPI) and the computer was constantly refreshing the Cnews.cz web page every 20 seconds. The brightness was all the down, balanced poer profile and adaptive brightness off. Windows 8.1 were updated and every reading was done twice and the results are the average of the two. There were no open apps in the backround and the reading was started after a reboot of the system."

Since the test was aimed at displaying dynamic content (which web browsing really is) it is no surprise that such a task uses more battery at higher resolutions. Although it is not entirely accurate a similar thing is when computer games graphics require more power and energy at higher resolutions as there is more pixels to calculate. I don't mean to disprove your own tests but maybe your test setup or methodology was different.

2. DelonixR

DelonixR Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine was ordered through Dell-SG, so the price of my unit when I ordered 3 weeks ago is likely what one would see off the local Dell web site now (around $2.1K with the 2 year complete care).

3. DelonixR

DelonixR Newbie

Reputations:
    Here you go. Looks like it's the US keyboard.
    keyboard_cr.jpg

4. runee1000

runee1000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is the seemingly unchangeable adaptive brightness (auto brightness) situation a deal breaker by any means? Concerned about buying the laptop because of it.

5. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dont think so. I mean for me, i know its there and to be honest it helps on the battery life but sometimes if not most of the times i want full blast brightness. They should atleast give you the option for it. I believe its a firmware/bios thing where maybe a future update will include it. Again, i suggest you stop by the microsoft store and see the laptop in person to get a good feel before you buy. The only regret i have at the moment is only going for the 4gig ram/128gig ssd version. Pondering ordering from Dell the 8gig/256ssd non touch.

6. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    edited for double post.

7. tylerwatt12

tylerwatt12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was able to get just under 13 hours of life out of it last night
    1/2 the time with 50% brightness
    the rest on its lowest setting.
    I did web browsing, listening to music, watching youtube videos, windows remote desktop.

I this was after uninstalling all dell software especially dell backup which was using a lot of my CPU time.

airmt likes this.
  8. einhander

einhander Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    dell has a new driver update. that may be the fix. didnt bother me though.

9. lirux

lirux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone recommend a sleeve for this laptop that does not cost ~50$ like the original?
    I need a sleeve that will go into my backpack.
    The problem is that this laptop is ~11-12" long and I don't know if it will fit in some 11.6" rated sleeves.

10. Chris_in_Boise

Chris_in_Boise Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the i5 non-touchscreen version from the Microsoft store. I love it.

The first thing I did was install Classic Shell, so I don't have to deal with the insanely convoluted Windows 8/8.1 interface.

I discovered a way to boost my battery life significantly by simply turning off Bluetooth.

One way to get there is: Charms Menu > Settings > Change PC Settings > Bluetooth

Give it a try if you do not need Bluetooth all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.