Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    DONT! 4gb is NOT enough. Especially if you want to use this for few-couple years down the road.

I have no idea why 4gb is offered still. It's equivalent of 720p on a screen.

aBs0lut3z33r0 likes this.
  2. tassadar898

tassadar898 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not entirely true. It will be hard to find a difference between 8gb vs 4gb in everyday performance unless you like browsing with 15+ tabs and/or you are a heavy mulitasker thanks to pagefiling on a fast SSD. If you are doing any sort of gaming youll probably want 8gb but atleast dell made the 4gb dual channel :) But I do agree 4gb will be phased out within a 1-2 years on ultrabooks.

PS Ram is soldered on the MB so you will be stuck with 4gb if you opt for it. I have been using 4gb systems for about 2 years because I usually go for the lower end model and see little difference between my desktop with 16gb of RAM but I'm not a huge multitasker or huge application user such as photoshop that can take gigs of RAM.

3. Nc79

Nc79 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It looks very impressive and could be my first dell since the xps1330. One question, where are the fan vents located I could not see from any of the picture and coupled with this what is the fan noise like when watching flash videos. I am currently using a vaio sa 13 and fan seems to kick in all the time.

Also has anyone used the xps display port with an hdmi adapter to connect to a TV?

4. bamaster

bamaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree. For $800, this is really hard to beat. I would be far more worried about the 128GB limit. Even with cloud storage, I need at least 256.

5. submachine

submachine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Same situation, I bought the XPS M1330 because it was the best available, and I'll buy this for the same reason.

6. DaPotato

DaPotato Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another questions for those of you that already got there. The SD Card slot, the previous XPS13 did not have the SD Card slot, good to see it is back on the new version. Have you tried inserting and SD card? Is it pretty much flush with the side of the laptop so it can stay in at all time?

Thanks!

7. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The keyboard is definitely superior to the MacBook Air's. Got 90wpm on my first try on the XPS13. On my MacBook air, I can only muster 75 after 3 tries. On a Thinkpad with the super awesome deep key travel I can get over 100.

typing test.JPG Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 8.15.42 PM.jpg

8. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope. 1/3 of the SD card sticks out unfortunately.

9. Zer0n1nja64

Zer0n1nja64 Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my xps 13 in today. Had to be at work all day while it sat at home after receiving it a couple minutes before leaving for work.

My god is this a nice feeling laptop. The keyboard has no flex, great travel for a ultrabook and carbon fiber. So luxurious feeling!

There is no flex to the laptop when you pick it up from one corner. I've noticed no weird edges in the craftsmanship between the aluminum and carbon/plastic parts and where they meet.

The trackpad feels great. but doesn't seem as responsive as a macbook trackpad. Just some delays when scrolling. I can't figure out how to turn off tap to click. Theres no real trackpad controls for that.

My only worry is, I'm sitting in bed at minimum brightness just casually checking websites and my battery life estimate has been floating around 5-6 hours. It may be working on stuff in the background so I will give it a couple days to work stuff out. battery.jpg I have the 1080p Matte screen.

So far I am a fan, I quickly installed WoW and it runs fine at native res. I've found the most demanding but static part of the game to be in your personal garrison at level 3 with the alliance. I get about 32 fps with everything at low at 1080. Running around normal parts of the game is about 45. I noticed the cpu while gaming doesn't go past 2.2 ghz which is basically what this laptop is designed for.

I will throw a battery of tests at it tomorrow and report back with what I got. If there is anything you guys would like to see let me know.

10. bamaster

bamaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought BatteryBar needed a few discharges to learn discharge rates. Dunno for sure.

Are you using Power Plans? Which one are you using while unplugged?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.