Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim1123

jim1123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I still have the adaptive brightness issue, but I'm still on BIOS A00, I'll update to A05 and see if that fixes it.

2. jim1123

Reputations:
    A05 did not fix for adaptive brightness for me. I've gotten used to it since January, so I really don't notice it anymore unless I go looking for it.

3. davidkwan

davidkwan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the following questions regarding perform clean install of Win10 on XPS laptop:

1. Where is our windows key located for activating win10?
    2. Our windows key are Win8 or Win7, as I know they cannot directly used for activating a clean install win10, how to make it works?

4. jim1123

Reputations:
    You have to do an upgrade first on your existing installation, ensure Windows 10 is activated, and then you can do a clean install without a key and it will activate itself.

davidkwan likes this.
  5. schreibman

schreibman Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Any advice on the order in which oyu installed the drivers required to remove the unknown devices?

Also, any advice on which drivers to install if there is not an "unknown"? For example, do I need the Intel RST, the Dell Bluetooth, etc. I mean, if it ain't broke???

Also, I have the same synaptic driver issue, wont install

6. cipsaz

cipsaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Every driver got picked up through windows update and I didn't get any unknown devices. I have only installed all the intel drivers from the Dell downloads under the Win10 category. They were probably not necessary, but installed anyways including the new Intel RST.

7. obionenairobi

obionenairobi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last week I did the upgrade to Windows 10
    After this I have a lot of fan activity (at full speed) that I did not have before.
    On Windows 8 I rarely heard the fan but now the fan constantly comes up when I open a program or just without any reason? This is very annoying!

Does anybody see this behaviour? Does anybody have a fix for this?

8. onetrev

onetrev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ... sorry see below, I forgot to quote the message.

9. onetrev

Reputations:
    Yes, I noticed this too. Found it got a bit better over time though still the fan runs more than it used to. It was however much worse until I uninstalled the Dell provided Realtek Audio High Def Audio (through Control Panel -> Programs and Features menu). Then I install the latest driver from the Realtek website and this stopped my Waves Audio from running 30%+ CPU. Or at least it seemed to fix that, which was the main cause of my fan running a lot more

10. onetrev

Reputations:
    There is an easy fix for this very annoying installation loop! What you need to do is temporarily disable driver auto updates. You can turn it back on once the driver is fully installed.

The problem is this Realtek Drive installation uninstalls the driver first, then by the time you reboot and it tries to install the driver it wants to install it detects there is a driver since Windows auto installed it in the mean time. Great idea in theory by Microsoft to keep n00bs up to date, but unfortunately this driver was not updated to deal with it.

That all being said, I've found a better idea is to totally uninstall the Dell provided Realtek Driver and just install the latest driver from the Realtek website. Seems like less glitches and issues if you do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.