Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinite Jest

Infinite Jest Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Installed windows 10 and the win 10 drivers for my service tag and I'm having some issues. Firstly, when my laptop comes out of sleep, I can't seem to adjust the brightness via the fn keys for s few minutes and my audio stops working. Anyone else have these issues? Also, the graphic that pops up for volume and brightness adjustment looks really small and low resolution compared to what it looked like in win 8.1.

Also, there is a tiny bit of coil whine if I hold my head up to the back of the laptop vs win 8.1, but nothing like what I was fearing. Inaudible at a normal working distance in a quiet room.

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Coil whine should be present or not. It should make no difference what OS is installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. playvideoondemand

playvideoondemand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a very audible coil whine when i had Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10159. Today, i have the official Windows 10 upgrade and I have not heard a single coil whine even at times my XPS is doing nothing and just idle (coil whines tend to occur when the CPU is under loaded), exactly how my XPS did when it had Windows 8.1.

4. submachine

submachine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm having a big problem using a USB Antenna. The USB port-cable connection is very loose, This causes many disconnections. Those disconnections cause the USB Antenna to not be recognized, but also for the Network settings charms sidebar to crash.

Is there a way to make the physical connection more secure, and more importantly, is there a way to access Network settings without using the charms sidebar?

5. davidkwan

davidkwan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm still waiting for more feedback before upgrade to win10 eventhough the upgrade kit already downloaded to my C: drive.

I have a question, how will Win10 and Dell treat our backup/recovery partition? Will we have an recovery image upgrade?

6. darkie

darkie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anybody do a clean install of Windows 10 as opposed to simply upgrading it? I've been mulling this over but I'm not sure I'm not lazy enough to do it.

For those that did, did you have any problems finding certain drivers or getting certain functions (e.g. the alternate keyboard function/hotkeys) to work? Also, Intel seemingly has a whole suite of programs on Dell's driver page (e.g. Rapid Storage Technology, HID Event Filter, etc.). Which of these are the most beneficial, if any? Which can be skipped?

I'm not sure about the XPS 13, but when I did a clean install on my older laptop (Windows 7), it wiped the recovery partition. When I upgraded my XPS 13, I think it actually created a couple more smaller partitions, but I'm not sure. If I do a clean install on top it, I'll let you know what happens.

7. boyq

boyq Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried updating to Windows 10 via Windows Update but it had failed installation error 3 times already. Now, how should I update this thing?

8. jim1123

jim1123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10 to upgrade the licence and it worked great. I then installed a 500GB Samsung EVO 850 and did a clean install, that worked great too. Most of the drivers installed automatically, Dell's update checker installed a few chipset drivers. Everything else is working fine.

9. darkie

darkie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try installing via the Windows 10 ISO. If you have problems using the tool to install directly, try creating an external media installation (e.g. USB) to circumvent any download problems.

Do you still have content adaptive brightness after doing the clean install? I've just done a clean install myself and noticed it hasn't yet reared its ugly head. Only have the drivers that Windows Update pulled automatically and haven't got around to installing the recommended Intel drivers on Dell's support website yet.

P.S. I also upgraded the BIOS to A05, so it might be that as well.

blue13x likes this.
  10. boyq

boyq Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. I already upgraded to Windows 10 via Windows ISO.
    Are the drivers in Dell Support site working for you guys? The first thing I notice is the audio not working at all even after installing the Windows 10 64-bit audio driver provided in the site. Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.