Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattalter

mattalter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. jim1123

jim1123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had the FHD model for a week now and these are my impressions.

Great build quality, rock solid, no flex at all, feels great Keyboard is fine, I like the soft touch texture on the palm rests. The overall size and weight are great and the small bezels look great.

The trackpad is alright, but its certainly not up to a macbook level. There is a very annoying delay when initiating a trackpad movement, your finger needs to move 2-3mm before your cursors starts moving, once it does start moving it is very responsive, but the initial delay is annoying. For as much a big deal as Microsoft made about their precision touchpad, the lack of actually useful gestures must be a joke, theres no gesture for forward or backward, I had more options on my last laptop with vendor drivers.

The battery life is pretty much as expected, I get about 10 hours of usage at 50% backlight.

The 1080p display looks alright, I immediately noticed the display was off center by about 1mm to the left, as I have almost 1mm of black space on the right of the display between the last column of pixels and the bezel, not a huge deal. I also have a very subtle area of backlight unevenness in the lower left corner of the display, no backlight bleed though. I also notice the dynamic contrast others are noting, its annoying but not a major concern for me.

Speakers can get surprisingly loud.

It doesn't get especially hot and the I haven't noticed any fan noise or whining at all.

I plan on swapping out the 128GB SSD for a 512GB card in the future, not a lot of selection for M.2 SSDs at the moment.

3. mattalter

mattalter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try adjusting the friction setting in the reg. I agree the touch pad is missing all the options for gestures. I hope that Dell or MS would come up with something in the next few months.

4. mva5580

mva5580 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've had this laptop for close to a week now and once again I find myself disappointed with battery life in Windows based laptop devices.

I understand that I wasn't getting 15 hours of battery life from this (I have the 1080p version,) I get it. It's always going to be below the stated specs. But to get somewhere around the 8 that I'm getting is ridiculous and to me, just not acceptable. 15 from 8 is a significant difference and 1) All I am doing is web browsing/videos and 2) I literally have the brightness set at 0. I just cannot understand why Windows based devices are absolute crap when it comes to battery life in comparison to their Apple counterparts.

I guess I am just going to have to get an Apple, probably the 2015 MacBook Air but hell even the 2013 MacBook Pro's get just as good, if not better battery life than these. Obviously battery life is very important to me and it just seems like Windows based devices are never going to be able to match Apple devices when it comes to battery life. I was preferring Windows for the compatibility/comfort level but if I have to use an Apple for my laptop uses, so be it. The majority of the stuff I use it for crosses over fine anyway.

I understand that my complaints are probably a bit petty an unrealistic, but it does annoy me that it's nowhere close to 15 hours. I'm not sure why companies are even allowed to release specs that unrealistic, I mean what did they do just put a totally black wallpaper in Windows and just let the PC sit there 15 hours doing nothing?

zachary77 likes this.
  5. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe every manufacturer tests battery life differently. I think Dell rated their battery life at 10% dimness and just let laptop sit without doing anything ( I could be wrong but that's what I heard qouted in a review ). I would say 8hrs inst too bad as most Apple machines hover around 10 hrs. Get you whatever works for you.

6. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    jim1123 where did you get yours from, Dell or MS store? Is it the i5 model? Any chance of a picture showing the mis-alignment? Thanks

7. coercitiv

coercitiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my experience the battery gauge will calibrate itself in time even with normal usage. If you feel like it though, calibrate once every few months, but do so with low/steady power usage (browsing or watching movies rather than gaming or stress testing).

I own an Asus laptop with integrated battery: it's my daily work machine (home&office intensive use), and 99% of the time I use it plugged. I bought the machine 18 months ago and reported battery wear is around 11%. Unless your battery is a lemon, I'm sure it will last a long time.

8. jim1123

jim1123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think that made a difference in scrolling, but didn't help with the initial movement delay, thanks.

9. soleblaze

soleblaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm sure battery specs will be about the same, unless there's some tweaking for the display driver.

I do think there will be a custom kernel available via ppa to support the audio. Might also have some touchpad changes.

10. dtblair24

dtblair24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I figured that's what they had to do. And even then I am not even sure if mine would make it that long just sitting there,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.