Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just joined the club :thumbsup: Fantastic laptop. Dell has a homerun with this. I know the MBA13 does not have that small a footprint, but next to this XPS13, it's huge lol. It's almost exactly the same footprint as the Inspiron 11 3147. Finally a Dell that has surpassed the MBA in design and quality. Two things though, the touchpad still can't touch the MacBook, and despite Dell's 15hrs battery life claim, I think the best I'll get is 10-12 on light usage, whereas my MBA13 does get close to 15hrs of light usage.

Some glamour shots for you guys :D
    xps5.JPG
    xps4.JPG
    xps3.JPG
    xps2.JPG
    xps1.JPG

2. DaPotato

DaPotato Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi could you post Crystal Disk Mark results? Also - Who makes the SSD?

3. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How did you get the $100 off?

Has anyone tried any Linux distribution on it?

Looks simple to upgrade the M.2:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  4. jb14

jb14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    GadgetNuts how does the keyboard and touchpad compare to the 11 3000? I am curious to know as the GF has one and I'm well accustomed to it after upgrading it to a SSD. Have you had any burn in issues or the burning smell as mentioned previously? What version do you have? I'm looking at the i3 128GB basic model for office tasks and upgrade the SSD further down the line. Thanks for the pics

5. GadgetsNut

Reputations:
    It's a LiteOn. My last XPS12 was also a LiteOn. Sure I would've preferred a Samsung but any current SSD is fast enough if I'm not just strictly looking at benchmarks.

Keyboard is better on the XPS13, it has a bit more travel and less stiff than my I11. Touchpad is vastly superior. The i11 touchpad is laggy and unresponsive to gestures (two finger scroll, back/forward etc), it's laggy just controlling the mouse pointer, which was a bit surprising since it's a Synaptics touchpad. The XPS13 "precision touchpad" is very responsive, two finger scroll works 100% of the time without fighting it, even the zoom gesture works really well. There is no longer a Dell touchpad control utility on the desktop, and the mouse driver in device manager is just the generic Microsoft driver from 2006, so forward/backward gesture does not work on the desktop. Scroll and zoom do work. It seems the OS completely takes control of these precision touchpad. Forward/backward gesture only works in full screen apps. I would've loved it it worked on the desktop, but I've grown accustomed to not using gestures on a Windows laptop because non had ever worked well.

No burn in or any burning smell. I haven't even read about those complaints yet. This is the standard Microsoft signature config, so it's the i5/4GB/128GB. I'd have gone for the i3 to save the $100 if they had it lol. Microsoft isn't kidding when they say no bloatware on their signature series - the only extras loaded were Dell My PC and Dell PC Checkup. I had to manually download the Dell backup&recovery to save the factory restore image. There is no more Dell Quickset or any of those utilities, so I can no longer control the keyboard backlight and stuff. If you browse the drivers download for it on Dell, there's only two things listed, which is good as I don't particularly enjoy the many driver downloads from the past when I manually reload the OS.

xps13ssd.JPG xps13touchpad.JPG

6. GadgetsNut

Reputations:
    I have not had a single incident of the touchpad accidently registering movements or clicks while typing, and I'm a pretty fast touch typist when I want to be. This happened often on my Inspiron 11.

7. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    Looks like they did better job with getting drivers right. Also by shortening the keys to the way right (backspace, enter, shift) they were able to offset the keys bit more to the right, hence making it less chance of contacting touchpad with the right hand.

8. valenorf

valenorf Newbie

Reputations:
    With the 1080p version,what kind of battery life can i take?
    Especially with wifi always on,doing light stuff like listening music on youtube or surfing. :)

9. nivekolleh

nivekolleh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bmstrong likes this.
  10. dtblair24

dtblair24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope the 4GB of RAM is enough. Think I will grab that one this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.