Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stochastic1

Stochastic1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. Is it sometimes necessary to run the battery down in order to calibrate the battery gauge? Say once every few months?

Does anyone know where we might be able to purchase replacement batteries in the future? If not, would it be possible to have Dell replace the battery for a fee?

I think 7-9 hours is a realistic estimate if you have the FHD model and you keep the screen brightness under 50%. If you have the QHD+ model, are doing CPU intensive work, or have the screen brightness cranked up, then getting much more than 6 hours is probably unrealistic. This is assuming you do moderately-intensive web browsing and watch a few videos. You should be able to get better run times if you exclusively do lighter tasks (i.e. light web browsing, no video watching, email checking, word processing). I haven't run any scientific tests myself, so these are just my estimates--take them with a grain of salt.

On the subject of battery life, Anandtech mentions that the audio DSP is integrated into the PCH with Broadwell (AnandTech | Intel Releases Broadwell-U: New SKUs, up to 48 EUs and Iris 6100). As they put it, "This removes a couple of Realtek components from the motherboard and allows Intel to bring it under their own manufacturing process, as well as configure the power gating needed." The image below demonstrates the power savings this results in:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8814/Slide%2012%20-%20Battery%20Life_575px.png

The Dell XPS 13 uses Maxx Audio 3 audio processing. Does anyone know how this might work? Does it bypass the DSP, or is it just a signal processing algorithm that runs on the CPU itself? Can battery life potentially be improved by disabling it?

I can see a little bit of light-leakage. It's not too bad. I only find it slightly intrusive when viewing very dark images or scenes. I have the FHD and not QHD+ model.

If you go to Advanced Power Options-->Processor power management-->System Cooling Policy, you can change the CPU throttling and fan behavior. By default it's set to passive on battery and active when plugged in. That's why the fan doesn't spool up as much when you're on battery power. You can of course modify this to your liking depending on whether you need more performance or prefer a quieter system.

2. airmt

airmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are these that the windows power options? Cause my experience is that it doesnt work very efficiently if the hardware (cooling system) is not designed the way it allows such things.

3. Stochastic1

Reputations:
    1) The keyboard is "full size," although the keys at each end are truncated (e.g., Backspace, Enter, Tab). It only took me a few minutes to adjust to it. Key travel is fairly limited, but now that I've gotten used to it I really like the keyboard. Keyboards are such a personal thing though. Only you can be the judge of whether it's comfortable to type on.

2) I'm also pretty satisfied with the touchpad. It's not on par with Macbooks, but in my opinion it's better than 90+% of Windows laptops. I think it's reasonably accurate and two-finger scrolling works well for the most part, too. If you think this might be an issue for you then maybe you could stop by a Microsoft store to try out the touchpad yourself?

3) I haven't experienced any coil whine. There was a video review that mentioned that this was caused by a supplier issue that has since been addressed by Dell, so coil whine shouldn't be a problem with this model.

4) I really like the Infinity display. Personally I don't think there are any drawbacks. In fact it would be great if future laptops could have even thinner bezels or no bezels at all.

5) The FHD model has a matte display, so there is very little reflectance. I can't speak for the QHD+ model with the glossy display.

6) So far I haven't really experienced any issues aside from battery life being far less than advertised (but still better than average for an ultrabook). My only real concern at this point is finding a battery replacement in the future when the battery starts to degrade.

4. Stochastic1

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm referring to the Windows power options. When on battery power I've found that the fan doesn't spool up all that much, probably because of the passive system cooling policy. If you really want a silent PC for web browsing/video viewing, maybe you should consider a fanless Core M device?

5. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How's the performance? The kernel should be GTG!

6. soleblaze

soleblaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im getting around 14MB/s. I've never been able to push more than 14MB/sec out of my wifi. Even with a mbp with 802.11ac and a 802.11ac time capsule. I should muck around with access points sometime.

7. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It'll be real interesting to see what those figures are for the Linux only version. Do you reckon this will have a special kernel with a PPA (I'm assuming Ubuntu) or stock kernel with Intel hardware?

8. mattalter

mattalter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    XPX 13 i5 8gb 256 owner here. Pretty good little notebook. If I had to pick out an annoyance it would be the track pad. Its pretty good, but I wish there was more control for it. Such as scrolling speed and scrolling per lines. While this option is listed in the settings, it only affects the external mouse not the track pad.

Anyone know of reg hacks to control this?

9. mattalter

Reputations:
    I found this, but no option to change scrolling speed.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn467318(v=vs.85).aspx

10. mattalter

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.