Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sojourner21

sojourner21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting about the same as you, which is about 7 hours from a FULL charge with 50% brightness and WiFi on. I'm quite confused because I've seen some reports of users with the same specs getting about 10 hours. Others, including yourself and Laptop Mag's review, have reported the 7 hour range.

If more users can report their battery life, we can get a better estimate of what is supposed to be the "norm."

2. DelonixR

DelonixR Newbie

Reputations:
    I received my XPS 13 several days ago; mine's the i7 / 256GB SSD / 8 GB RAM / QHD+.

My unit has some obvious light-leakage on the left and right sides. It's visible enough at normal viewing angles, and only not-noticeable if you're looking at the screen exactly head on. Would like to check if this is an issue faced by other owners too.

As for battery; haven't had the full-run down yet, but at maximum brightness, WIFI + Bluetooth one, and doing office productivity work + a two hour presentation output to an external screen + about 30 minutes of media play back in-between that, I judge it the battery sufficient to run for about 5.5 to 6 hours.

3. psol

psol Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How is the screen brightness? Is it fine or do you have to put it on maximum?

Do you have any problems with some programs regarding so high the screen resolution?

Are any issues with light refletions?

How is the fan for this model with QHD+?

Any other comment about QHD+?

In Europe only QHD+ is available so I am very interested on owner feedback ...

Thanks

4. airmt

airmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Many thanks for your replies!

@ the battery life - that is what I expected. Last year I was testing one haswell zenbook and I didnt think that Dell could manage anything close to 15 hours with 52 Wh battery at any other states than idle. Great program is the HWinfo64, where you could see minimal, maximal and average discharge (since every time you reset). So you could easily check these discharge rates. If you turn off the laptop at 10% battery left and there is some battery wear rising as well (like 2-5 % and rising with time), you would probably use about 45 Wh battery capacity out of the 52 Wh. So you have to work with the computer the way that you have about 4,5 mWh discharge rate. The new Sharp display technology saves more battery than the new chipset. Turning the brightness down from 100% to like 20% could increase the battery life more than you expect (it could be more than 50-70 %), but I am just guessing.

@ fan noise - Okay so yet again some official reviewers are talking bull (pardon my language, cant help myself). I hate it when they say something like "the fan barely kicked on" or "the fans are off" with the office tasks and they definitely arent. I do not understand why they do not come up with something more objective. I prefer to have the option - when surfing the web, reading/writing, doing "office stuff" I like to keep as quiet as possible. I dont mind a little more heat. Of course when doing more demanding work - I would like the full performance boost and dont mind any fan noise! But how could it be easier than just go to settings and just change with a few clicks? :)

I was able to run Zenbook UX32LA completely passive with light web usage (I had to turn the fans off manually). The CPU temp was from 49 C (idle) to 70 C (playing youtube video). And when I was playing games or on longer YT video playback I turn them back on. But it was a SW tool and it was not working perfect...

5. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

That's what i was thinking. I have seen reviews where the QHD model last for 7-8 hours and the FHD 10-11. For example, Lisa of mobiletechreview reports up to 12 hours, claiming thus that this is at last a better laptop than the MBA.

6. DelonixR

DelonixR Newbie

Reputations:
    The maximum brightness level on my unit isn't as bright as I would like. I just came off a Macbook Pro 15" Retina (late 2012), and at maximum brightness, the new Dell XPS 13 seems slightly dimmer than the Retina.

Working in a bright office environment, my XPS 13's brightness level is about 80 to 90%. At home with more muted/warm lighting, I typically at around 60% to 70%.

Against the MBP, reflections against direct light sources are a more serious problem on the XPS. But again it depends on the amount of direct light that gets cast on it (it's not an issue for me at home or at work).

The fan on mine doesn't normally kick in in office productivity work, unless I'm running 3D content (e.g. a game).

The resolution I'm running at is 2048x1152, and at 115% text sizing. It's largely for convenience, since my secondary display is a 27" 1920x1080 - and I don't want to fool around with text sizes on secondary displays.

All in; I think the QHD+ is a decent display and almost as good as the MBP Retina's. I'm however annoyed at the light-leak, and want to again check if others are having this issue too.

7. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have some questiosn.

1) Is the keyboard 'normal size' (same as on XPS 15, say?). Is it comfortable to type?

2) Some people said that mousepad was inaccurate. I don't need special gestures of Windows 8.1. Only need to read PDF documents all day. Hence, I need 'accurate selection' + "two fingers on mousepad for up/down scroll." Are these features working properly?

3) All the previous dell XPS13,XPS15,M3800 had the famous "coil,cpu whine" problem. Is this fixed the new model. Are there any users experience annoying whining noise?

4) Is the no-corners (infinity display) amazing? Or does it also have negative aspects for User Experience (say, distraction of surrounding vs. focus area of screen)

5) How bad is the reflection (Europe does not provide anti-reflective coating). I have had an XPS15. The glare/reflection was very prominent.

6) Other important issues people are experiencing?

Thanks in advance!

8. xxkyh

xxkyh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If it possible that battery life highly depending on the browser you use? Chrome for 7 hours, modern IE for 12 hours. Chrome is known to be battery hungry, however, I didn't expect that much difference.

9. mrcasual

mrcasual Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What monitor do you have?

10. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had to go return/swap mine out due to the track pad left side upon clicking it would get stuck while pressed. The new one is way better, even the keyboard is firmer. Maybe i got a less well built one my first time. Still have the display dimming ( hopefully we'll find a way to disable that soon ). No light leakage on mine ( HD matte screen ) No coil sound or cpu whine at all. The Infinity display corners don't distract one bit, I think this laptop is awesome, and this is coming from a guy who's owned an macbook air 11/13, Macbook pro 13 Retina, Surface pro 3. I love the size of the machine, very well built. Battery life I still haven't used it to a full drain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.