Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooterboss

shooterboss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There are studies out there that show that students using laptops retain less information than if they were writing their notes by hand. I agree with that since the screen can block your attention of the professor and typing is designed for speed rather than retention.

However, tablets are a little different in both regards. It still stays on your desk, so the distraction is lowered. Also, the physical act of writing results in the best retention, so writing on a stylus-enabled device is similar to writing on paper. Or at least that's how I see it. I also don't want to heave around several pounds of notebooks.

2. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I prefer writing on actual paper with an actual pen. I find the natural resistance makes the writing much more enjoyable. Sure there's probably writing tablets out there that simulate writing on actual paper, but you don't get that with consumer grade tablets with pens.

Regardless, I agree that typing out notes on the keyboard is pretty futile. Especially that, in my experience, notes are already available in typed up form, so you're not even gaining that.

alexhawker likes this.
  3. Entuscan

Entuscan Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I haven't had any luck finding something so far ... and having it not working to scan QR codes with our inhouse software is a big downside for a great laptop

4. JonathanGennick

JonathanGennick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have that very same problem. Is really aggravating that the pad is not centered under home for keys.

Has Touchpad Blocker been working out for you?

I've been considering some gaffer tape to cover over that one corner.

5. submachine

submachine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea, I don't even notice the problem anymore.

6. J.Nerdy

J.Nerdy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am baffled. I have tried in earnest to reproduce CABC, and simply can't. I will make a video and post...its quite possibly that I am going insane.

7. 0rangutan

0rangutan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here - no CABC on my W10 install.

8. foolie

foolie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    sometimes when i wake the device from sleep, the touchpad gets sluggish and multitouch turns off. To get it working again I had to restart the laptop; anyone have this issue and any fixes? Currently on the latest touchpad firmware. thanks

9. playvideoondemand

playvideoondemand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You know when CABC is more noticeable? When you transition from a dark scene to a bright scene. Perfect test would be opening 2 instances of Window's Paint, on one of them, fill in the whole picture with black paint and switch to the other with just blank white. That what I did on my Windows 10 Build 10049, CABC was still in effect but interestingly, it was noticeably less dramatic than my clean Win7 install and the default Windows 8.1 Dell image.

10. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    widL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.