Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airmt

airmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

could you please check at what kind of tempreratures and under which conditions the fan kicks in?
    I usually use HWinfo64, which I find to be a great program but whatever you use I am really interested in the cooling scheme of the laptop.
    http://www.hwinfo.com/img/HWiNFO64_2.png

For example: the fan kicks in at 50 degrees Celsius, turns off completely at 45 C and it is enough that you browse this forum that makes the temps high enough for the fans to kick in. Or it is i.e. necessary to run a youtube video for the fans to kick in...

Is the lowest fan speed about as noisy as a conventional hard drive (or more/less noisy)?

If you could also test what kind of speeds the fans use (Hwinfo shows that to you), that would be great. I think these are firm criteria that would let everyone make his own image about how quiet is the laptop cooling (many people keep asking). No reviews state that, moreover some say it is usually "absolutely quiet" some say "the fans are almost always on".

Also basic feedback about the battery life with casual wifi surfing would help a lot (again some say 6 hours, some say 10 hours).

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated!

2. dtblair24

dtblair24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't have any serious issues with it. It is more up an upward angle which of course is unflattering. I just try to lay the laptop out a little further on my lap or set it on higher surface when I skype. Also when typing during a video chat your finders will be visible. Because of the camera placement, when you are looking at the screen/person you are talking to it looks like you are looking away more than usual. I just position the other persons video screen in the lower left corner so it looks like I am looking at them a bit more.

I am not going to post an ugly pic of my mug but this review includes a decent webcam picture that represents what you should expect.
    My new Dell XPS 13 with non-touch display is frankly amazing | Windows Central

3. MakhouT

MakhouT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is this laptop any good for photo/video editing with adobe photoshop, premiere and after effects?
    What about web design? I'm about to pull the trigger - just want to make sure I won't regret my purchase.

EDIT: Also what fps can you get out of this laptop? Both HD and QHD.

4. Stochastic1

Stochastic1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I received my Dell XPS 13 on Friday and have been testing it out throughout the weekend. I have the matte HD model with a Core i5, 8GB RAM, and a 256 GB SSD.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the device. Some early thoughts/impressions:

--The screen quality is good (although not exceptional IMO...we'll need next-gen OLEDs for that). Brightness uniformity is better than average. The color calibration is decent, too, although there's some room for improvement for future models. Black levels are better than average for a PC display but obviously no where close to OLED or even VA panels. I'm thrilled that the display is matte, although as is often the case with Dell matte displays, the anti-glare coating is heavily textured and somewhat annoying at lower brightness levels. I know that I'm being somewhat harsh, but I believe that the display is arguably the most important component of a modern laptop. Overall I would rate the display an 8/10.

--Industrial design is excellent for a PC. I love the aluminum unibody as well as the generous use of carbon fiber. It lends the device an air of luxury and makes it a pleasure to touch and hold. The device is as thin as I would need it to be. I think Dell made the right tradeoff with the thickness as they would have had to sacrifice battery capacity if they had made it thinner. It's no Lenovo LaVie, but at 2.6 lbs it's still lightweight. What makes the 2015 Dell XPS 13 a standout though is undeniably the 5.2 mm thick bezels. Bravo to Sharp for making this possible. I hope all manufacturers going forward incorporate thin bezels in their designs.

--Performance is as good as I need it to be as I use a self-built desktop system for heavy-duty work, although I wouldn't mind a PCIe-based SSD for ultrafast read and write speeds. Bloatware is minimal and can easily be removed. Battery life is slightly disappointing. While not bad by any means, in my own real world usage I'm seeing less than 10 hours. I haven't run my battery down to 0% so I can't say for sure, but based on the battery bar estimates it looks like I might be averaging something like 7-8 hours while browsing the web and viewing online videos. I've done everything I can think of to prolong battery life--I've disabled Bluetooth, uninstalled bloatware, disabled unnecessary background processes, and keep the screen brightness low (I'm at 20% brightness at the moment). Despite this I don't think I'll be able to get 10 hours on a single charge.

--I'm pretty happy with the keyboard and touchpad. The keyboard still isn't as good as on a Thinkpad nor is the touchpad on par with a Macbook, but they are better than probably 95% of Windows PCs. Two-finger scrolling works fairly reliably for me and I fortunately have no issues with accidentally activating the touchpad while typing.

--My only major gripe so far is the fact that the battery is integrated. Does anyone know where a replacement battery can be purchased? I plan on using this laptop for at least four years, so I'd like to replace the battery at some point when it begins degrading.

EDIT: What is the best way to maintain battery health? Battery University recommends adhering to the 40-80 rule (start charging at 40% and discharge at 80%), but I've also read that it's actually better to just keep your PC plugged in if you're going to be using it extensively.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. Stochastic1

Stochastic1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll have to test the temperatures at which the fan spools up later when I have some time. There's an option under advanced power options to change the CPU behavior. By default it's set to "passive" on battery power and "active" when plugged in. That is, on battery power it'll throttle the CPU clockspeed to keep a consistent temperature, but while plugged in the CPU will ramp up and the fans will kick in to make full use of the thermal headroom available. This can be changed if you value silence over performance.

I would say the fans are moderately quiet but definitely audible. People who value silence will probably find them annoying, although the noise doesn't personally bother me much. The fact of the matter is that in 2015 it's impossible to have a laptop that is thin, fast, AND quiet. You can, at best, have two out of three of those things simultaneously. As I said, you can change the CPU behavior if you value silence more than performance, but if you are planning on doing heavy duty work or gaming on this machine then you can't expect silent operation.

Regarding battery life, I have been a little disappointed. I should add the caveat that I haven't actually run my battery down to 0% yet, so I'm basing things on the battery bar reading which may not be totally accurate. With light to moderate web browsing including video watching I'm getting something like 7-8 hours of usage, but this is with the brightness turned down to 20-30%. If I didn't watch any videos I might be able to get 10 hours. I use Chrome in desktop mode with uBlock. If I used IE I would probably get better battery life.

6. mrcasual

mrcasual Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a 4k 60hz monitor they could check to see if Broadwell can handle it at 60hz? Specs say "yes" but I've yet to see this being confirmed anywhere.

7. orl2222

orl2222 Newbie

Reputations:
  8. einhander

einhander Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ..............................60hz

9. coercitiv

coercitiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The most important part of the 40-80 rule is not going under 20% :) , or in other words avoid unnecessary battery discharge.

When using extensively keep PC plugged in, the wear from keeping the battery fully loaded will be smaller than the one induced by repeated charge-discharge cycles. If the unit offers control over battery charging, charge the battery to 60-80%, stop charging the battery, and use the unit plugged in.

When mobile, charge often. (40-80)

10. bernieyee

bernieyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    CPU's hovering at around 44-50 degrees, fan is audible at least in the quiet bedroom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.