Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My Dad is on an old i5 T420s. I wonder how the base i3 Microsoft Signature would fair in terms of performance?

2. bdbaity

bdbaity Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks everyone for the help. Dell is sending me a replacement.

3. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This probably has been discussed before, but is the fan more active if you have an external monitor plugged in? At least in the past it was quite common as it would require more power to run 2 instead of 1 screen. Also, is A02 the preferred BIOS if you don't want the XPS to limit performance (due to overheating I guess)?

4. darkie

darkie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think A01 is the one you want if the noise doesn't bother you. A03 addresses an issue in i3 models and A02 increases the temperature threshold for the fan.

5. Luterin

Luterin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pretty much all gpus need more power and work harder with more than one screen attached to it. Same for stationary computers.

6. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm going to get my third unit. My second model had cracking speakers and Intel smart connect isnt working. Pff

7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is the TouchPad supposed to "wobble" so that even a "tap click" kind of feels like a normal click? Ie you can actually feel the touchpad moving even when just tapping it? Compared to my MacBook Pro it feels kind of flimsy.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    This is kind of a Bump of my initial request to the thread and a thank you to playvideoondemand for his response.

I've been eying two of Dell's consumer flagships that have received extremely high professional ratings a quite good overall owner reviews and simply drool-worthy designs and specs. The other is the XPS-15 top config with 4k screen, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD which you can now buy from reputable closeout/refurb dealers for around $1,200, less than I would pay for the XPS 13 (new) in the config I would want (I hate glossy screens and think FHD+ is pretty silly on most 13" LCDs, but I want a big SSD and I've become hooked on touchscreens, so there you have it.

Shall I read the lack of response to my inquiry about the XPS 13 as a resounding vote of no-confidence, at least at the price point and with certain "teething pains" the model needs at least one refresh to work through? I posted a similar request for feedback on the XPS 15 thread and received no fewer than 10 thumbs up replies and few "stay away" recommendations.

Thoughts? I know I'm being a bit silly here because I don't in any way need a new laptop/ultrabook! I was just feeling jazzed about some of the exciting new product rolling out. Simmer down and let the market shake these things out? Thanks for your time.

9. pjcronje

pjcronje Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The 2015 XPS 13 is THE BEST laptop I've used, ever, period. It's small and light, even compared to other ultrabooks. It's more than powerful enough for the majority of users. Even if you do some intensive tasks it'll cope: I've run some serious stochastic modelling (Monte Carlo simulation) on it, and it was on par with an older desktop at my office. The battery life I've experienced is pretty good, 8+ hours. It might not be the 11+ hours advertised by Dell, but it's at least twice as good as any other laptop I've used. I also have a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (the business model, not the consumer one, supplied by my employer), and the battery rated for 8+ hours lasts about 4. I spent months looking for a new laptop, and I've kept coming back to Dell as I've had good experiences with them - first a Studio XPS from around 2008 then a XPS 15 from 2011.

There's only one small problem, and it makes the laptop worthless to me (other people may have different experiences): content aware brightness. It's a pity because I really wanted to like this laptop, and I do like it. It's up to you to decide how critical that is for you. I'll be honest: if I wasn't doing photo editing I'd keep it. As is, however, it's just not possible. I've made several attempts and viewed the results on my XPS 15 - and it just doesn't cut it.

10. Trung Nguyen

Trung Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you're not a pro photo/video editor where colour accuracy and b/w levels are important and you want to use the XPS for "dirty" editing on the go, then maybe wait a while to see if DELL can do something in the future to enable an option of disabling CABC. If not, then as long as you're not overly obsessive and nit-picky, then you won't be disappointed - for me under normal use situations, I don't find it that much of a bother. I find the QHD panel having good brightness and keyboard is pretty good. Trackpad could be better but it's useable and better than most other machines. Position of the webcam can be annoying, but it's fine to use. As with all new tech, drivers are not perfect and have a way to go yet to mature. While having read through all of this forum thread from the beginning, it would seem that quality issues can vary quite a bit from machine to machine, but I'd say that I'm fairly pleased with mine having purchased less than a month ago. I don't think there would be much difference in comparison to the Book 9 on a hardware level. With the XPS you'd have a 5th gen processor (with newer intel graphics 5500 GPU) compared to your Book 9 4th gen as well as Wireless better wireless AC.

Bottom line is, if you're fine with all the above and you have the cash to splash out for an un-needed upgrade, I don't think you'll be displeased with your purchase. If you are not quite happy, then simply return it for a full refund and just give any number of reasons posted here already and I'm sure DELL will happily do that for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.