Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Nerdy

J.Nerdy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the i5 as well. Could it be build date related? BIOS implementations can be overridden from the OS, that is essentially what a "software" overclock is.

Yes under the same scenario with Ubunutu - fades. Under win10 (build 10049) - no fades

Those temps are blistering...thats almost at the top of the TDP envelope.

2. bdbaity

bdbaity Newbie

Reputations:

I have let it sit for 2 days. I just reset it back to factory settings and deleted all the "dell" programs, Mcafee, and only downloaded windows updates (took 2.5 hrs) and the fan runs with even 1 tab of IE open. Anything I open it starts spinning. It wouldn't be that big of deal if it wasn't so loud with just a few small things open.

I am completely lost at this point...

3. 0rangutan

0rangutan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you tried re-applying the BIOS upgrade? Or trying A02 instead?

4. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Somethings definitely not right. My i5, 8GB, 256 idles at about 35c with a few IE tabs open, and the fan is not running at all. I have only had the fan ever come on when running benchmarks that cane the CPU. A00 BIOS too (pity the bezel is all shoddily assembled and I've been waiting 4 weeks for a replacement, but that's another discussion).

What's your CPU usage in the above case? I'd only expect those temps and fan, based on my unit, with 100% CPU usage.

5. bdbaity

bdbaity Newbie

Reputations:
    I have installed A03 3 times and it doesn't help. I have downgraded it to A02 and the fan runs even more.

100% max and 79C right now on fresh install.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  6. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sounds like some software is wrecking the CPU. CPU usage should be pretty much 0% (it is on mine) and clock speed 0.77GHz at idle, or even with a few IE tabs open.

Which processes are doing this? Even before I uninstalled anything on mine, it had low CPU usage and no fan running, so this is odd.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    Long time lurker on this thread. Own a Samsung Ativ Book + which I am by and large very happy with. But my greatest indulgence in life (the one I can afford!) is to get the very best, latest laptop out there. I know that these forums bring out the people with problems and may represent a minority of owners, but between the CABC - which I despise and disconnect on every computer I've had that came with it set on - and the uneven temp/fan performance, the few but disturbing bezel warpage issues but, by far the worst - unresponsive support from Dell.

Should I just stay away from this if I have a problem-free Samsung 9+ or is the tiny, light bezel-free screen worth the game of "risk" you play with getting a good one, and that W10 will resolve the CABC issue?

Thanks for the advice.

8. playvideoondemand

playvideoondemand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For me the only remaining issue is Dell's lack of transparency/pride acknowledging the fact it enabld CABC by force without an option to turn if off. Fact is, this feature, which translated to be a big issue for many, has been reported to Dell way back in Januuary. If you call tech support, those guys dont even know what CABC is. Tech suport even "escalated" this issue to its "Higher Resolutions team". So Dumb. Lenovo had color reproduction issues on its Yoga 2 Pro which had a Samsung panel. Lenovo fixed it within a week or so with an updated BIOS. Dell on other hand is still playing hide and seek with its enabling of CABC on the XPS 13 2015 for almost 4 months and counting.

9. avalance

avalance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

---------------------
    i7 5500U - no "noise" issues as i turned of turbo boost (cause for not required atm), also 100% CPU load is not normal you should check if chrome or any plugin/website is driver for this high load, mine also running in idle or surfing at 2% to 40% load at round about 600Mhz or something. By turning on turbo boost it´s sometimes little louder, but as already mentoined, i did not require this feature yet
    --------------------

Questions:

- was there any update due to 4k video on youtube (Chrome / Firefox / ?) cause on mine it stucks (with pre-buffering) <- windows 8.1 & flash any browser and pre-buffered

- was there any update from DELL side regarding an Linux ISO (as they sell with ubuntu) or something? Currently i´m using kubuntu 15.04+Plasma and it´s little hard with QHD+ and all the "highDPI" addons which are not available for all applications, also in dualboot sometimes audio won´t work. Problem is some applications have very tiny font´s and there´s no way to scale something :( (as in windows too, but less in windows).

Regards,
    aVa

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  10. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's never enough. Get 8.

alexhawker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.