Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trung Nguyen

Trung Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update BIOS, Touchpad firmware, Sound drivers as a minimum.

Anything on the DELL Drivers page for you laptop, suggest installing any drivers that end in Axx other than initial drivers released (A00)

Workshop2 likes this.
  2. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am actually (relatively) happy from my touchpad.

(1) Did anybody do a firmware update and did it make the situation worse?
    (2) Did someone else have a "good touchpad" from the start, and did it became after after upgrade "an excellent touchpad"

Since everything seems to be ok now, I don't want to take big risks. I also assume that firmware update cannot be undone.

3. RFID

RFID Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the rubber seal of my coffee flask failed just now and spilled about 250ml all over my pack (the flask was inside its own relatively secure bag; bag in a bag, and the bag was inside a separate partition in the actual pack.) This soaked through the laptop compartment ruining notebooks and going through the sleeve of my XPS. Coffee got into the left side of the laptop (laptop was stored vertically and I assumed the worse.)

After wiping down the screen and the left part with wet wipes (the red one) I let it stand for 45 minutes on its left side. Having no screwdrivers on hand I decided to fudge it and power it on. It booted normally with the left side of the screen showing no sign of damage. I decided to test the left speaker and opened Pearl Jam's Alive (because I wanted my laptop to be such) on YouTube. When it played the left speaker had no output. I was about to call Dell when sound came from the left speaker. I now remembered that the intro started on the right speakers only.

Smells faintly of coffee still though.

Workshop2 and Ablazes like this.
  4. darkpollo

darkpollo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You never know. Maybe the keyboard is not for me or something (battery for example) is just not what I expected. It is a lot of money to buy without testing.
    I have done my research but you cannot be sure until you try it for yourself.

5. JonathanGennick

JonathanGennick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @GoneTomorrow, three weeks is really too long. That's disappointing.

Apple sets the gold standard in my mind. Their turn-around time is stunning, and you'd think they were shipping via Einstein Express.

6. markjones80

markjones80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 10 still has lots of developer and debugging code running inside that will dramatically effect battery life and perforce and should not be taken as any measure of what it will be like once all this code and CPU load is removed in the public release. You cannot compare the public version of Windows 8.1 to the preview of Windows 10 for any measure of performance or battery stats. I saw the same with the early previews of Windows 8 yet once it went public with debug code removed the improvements were substantial.

7. markjones80

markjones80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My touchpad was good from the start, maybe a very slight delay for 2 finger scrolling to start but otherwise great. Never noticed much change after the firmware update.

8. RFID

RFID Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question about temperatures. I ran TFT2 for 15 minutes (lol@work) but I didn't really hear the fan (can't put my machine next to my ears now for obvious reasons.)

According to HWM core temps reached 80c max (current ambient is 13c) and is now hovering at 40-43c.

Is this normal or is my fan borked because of the recent spillage?

9. surfict

surfict Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I received my XPS 13 (i5, Full HD) some days ago. I updated the bios ( it was on version A00, i taked the version A03 from here : http://www.dell.com/support/home/fr/fr/frdhs1/product-support/product/xps-13-9343-laptop/diagnose ) and... it is bricked. When i start it, nothing on the screen , some noise and it power off..

However, the install seems good, i started the exe from Windows, it has restarted, i had a green message when he finished to flash the bios, and then...he tried to reboot and nothing. I think that it is good for comming back to dell, but if any of you have an idea..

I made a video of it here :

10. sven147

sven147 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you try pressing the power button more than 10 sec?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.