Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any expected Easter sales on these models?

2. Ablazes

Ablazes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. No, I haven't. Just don't have the proper time to test different solutions either. I'll try to do a clean install of windows later. My computer seems to be running 24/7 now as I don't switch it off or set it to hibernate. I hate the smart connect issues. Hope it doesn't affect my battery wear too much.

3. submachine

submachine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What's the procedure for updating the bios with BitLocker? I'm still on A00 and I have zero problems, but if I decide to update I don't want to be locked out.

4. Doubleplusgood

Doubleplusgood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very interesting. If I don't have any luck elsewhere I will trying disabling system sounds (all of them) and see if that has any effect. I did briefly listen to all the system sounds and nothing sounded like what I heard but, well desperate times call for desperate measures!

5. nyyankees3511

nyyankees3511 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if this laptop has auto brightness via ambient light sensor?

6. sjgore

sjgore Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It isn't any different. I switched on Bitlocker whilst on A00, then upgraded sequentially to A01, A02, then A03 as and when they were released.

What makes you think it would be any different? The BIOS is separate to the encrypted SSD. To be honest, it never occurred to me that there might be a problem. I've been running my Surface Pro 2 fully Bitlocker-ed for 18 months without any issues.

Well the ambient light option shows up in Power Settings, put it that way. I didn't seem to do anything, though. It was still too bright when in a dark room, if the brightness level was adjusted for daylight. I've found that 40% is about right for most environments, so I've just left it at that.

7. nyyankees3511

nyyankees3511 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    kind of a disappointment for such an expensive laptop if they omitted an ambient light sensor

8. Starkster

Starkster Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone know why the scrolling is so bad in Chrome? It doesn't make sense that it's so smooth in IE yet so bad in Chrome...

9. psyllium

psyllium Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is happening to me, especially since the A01 BIOS update which had some fixes for repeated keystrokes in Linux. Rolling back to A00, the repeated keystrokes seem to happen a lot less in Windows. But of course there are no fixes for the noisy fans etc there.

10. submachine

submachine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    "Updating BIOS with Bitlocker If BitLocker is not suspended, the next time you reboot the system it will not recognize the BitLocker key.
    You will then be prompted to enter the recovery key to progress and the system will ask for this on each reboot." - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN153694/EN

"Disable BitLocker if you need to update the computer’s basic input/output system (BIOS) or startup files. This precaution will help prevent BitLocker from locking the drive and can help avoid the potentially lengthy decryption process. Enable BitLocker again when the update is complete and you have restarted the computer." - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...er-drive-encryption-and-decrypting-the-volume

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.