Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ogkushsmokay

ogkushsmokay Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anyone still having issues with the fan after a02 update? My fan won't turn off while its charging and its really loud. should i even bother with a02 since its for i3 performance improvement? i crrently own i5 qhd.

2. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    screen was replaced, old one was too dark (white was kinda greyish). The new screen is not much better, but I suppose I can (learn to) live with it... I am not a big fan of screen, since I have to read on white backgrounds all day. All other colors are very vibrant and nice. I guess for other purposes the screen is good.

Dell support on phone was very good, guy who came was also nice

Though something crazy was observerd... when opening laptop, there was a loose screw somewhere on the motherboard inside (suppose it was dropped in the factory); raises some serious questions about manufacture proces

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:

My XPS 13 bought from the New Zealand consumer Dell site came with 8.1 Pro. It also came with DVD recovery media for 8.1 Pro, which is a bit useless.

4. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hopefully you'll receive it a lot sooner than that. Mine was at the door next business day when I got the notification it had shipped. (message on Friday, delivered on Monday).

5. playvideoondemand

playvideoondemand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems Dell is continuosly fixing reported issues on this model. Hopefully they fix next the Content Adaptive Backlight Control which is turned ON by default but no option to disable in BIOS.

6. M1nh

M1nh Newbie

Reputations:
  7. J.Nerdy

J.Nerdy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello All... new qhd i5 8/256 owner. First dell I have owned in a long time. I hope it to be my daily driver as my yoga pro 2 (which I love) just simply doesn't have the horsepower I need (4gb ram is definitely a limitation).

Couple of notes in response to some of the things I have read (and my 8 hours of ownership)

• I had starscream caliber fan noise from first boot. I tried to live with it...but after four hours and some solid reading, updated to A03 BIOS. This significantly improved the fan speed and spin up frequency...even on charge.
    • I too have the light bleed in the bottom corners of the screen...and when brightness is cranked it is pretty noticeable. Though I don't know if it is enough to warrant a a return
    • I know that I have read some people having issues with chrome out of the box...just a suggestion: I use canary because I like some of the bleeding edge features (though stability can be questionable)...but it doesnt suffer from the stuttering in scrolling or the hdpi scaling issues that many have alluded to. Just a thought
    Finally, I am running the windows 10 tech preview....it definitely has a ways to go, but...it does handle the display density extremely well.

Glad to be part of the community, hope to have some positive feedback over the coming weeks.

8. pjg51

pjg51 Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my i7 QHD yesterday. I left Dell to update it as it chose (including bios A03) and also some Windows updates - mostly to my copy of office. I've left all the software running including McAfee and allowed indexing to do it's job on about 40gb of documents.

The fan is now silent both when charging and when doing web browsing - even with my ear to the vent I cannot hear it, so I think it is not turning. The base of the XPS is warm but not more than my other laptops and not annoying. CPU temperature at the moment says 26 degrees C.

When I something CPU intensive such as a benchmark the fan switches on, but never particularly loud. I didn't experience the XPS without A03, but the fan is certainly quitter than on my other Dell and my Toshiba.

As to the QHD screen, no issues at all. If I display an all-black screen at maximum brightness there is a faint glow down both sides, especially if viewed at an angle, but in normal use it is simply not a problem.

Too early to tell on battery life, but last night browsing on WiFi at maximum brightness I got over 7 hours before I switched off, and there was still supposedly 1:42 left.

Well pleased overall.

Workshop2 likes this.
  9. Ben REIMEU

Ben REIMEU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

Speaking of screws and manufacture process, I also have a story to tell :

I received a i7-5600 / 256Gb / QHD+ last week, and the fan was making a very annoying noise, it wasn't turning all the time, but when it does, it was like the fan was rattling on something. It was very noticeable when moving the laptop during fan activity.

I called the support (very nice guys), and they asked me to open the laptop, just to see if something was touching the inside of the fan. I hung up the phone and opened the laptop, not only to see that nothing was interfering with the fan, but to find at least 3 screws missing (1 for the fan, 2 for the battery) !

I called the support again, explaining that this is not acceptable for the price I paid, and that I wanted a new unit and not a tech having the missing screws added. They totally agreed and adviced me to return it, as they can't make an exchange, just repair it.

I returned it and ordered a new one (just changing the i7-5600 to the cheaper i7-5500), but now i'm afraid to discover flaws in the new unit .........

So for now, I'm totally in love with this laptop, but very suspicious about Dell quality control ..... :(

And you guys ? Any stories of missing / loose screws or rattling fan ?

PS : Sorry if some parts of my story are not clear but english is not my native language.

10. Trung Nguyen

Trung Nguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.