Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ogkushsmokay

ogkushsmokay Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys

what is your cpu temp when idling? Mines is at 55c. it goes up to 82c when browsing the web. I feel like this is little too hot for normal use. Care to share your numbers guys?

2. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    degrees celcius? or fahrenheit? 82° C seems hot

3. ogkushsmokay

Reputations:
    celcius.....i kno 105c is the max temp before cpu burns out. i thinkk im going to contact dell to reapply thermal paste

4. darkie

darkie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What utility do you use to monitor your CPU temperature?

5. ogkushsmokay

Reputations:
    open hardware monitor. It's the best i found. Simple and no bloatware.

6. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That temperature is fine. Laptop CPU's are designed to run really hot, and laptops are designed to run the CPU really hot. If you wanted 50c load temps with the size of cooler you can fit in there, you'd have a 130dBa fan.

7. 0rangutan

0rangutan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. avalance

avalance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, so UEFI is the new "BIOS" which should be "on" by default and has some advantages over the old mode. Some operating systems (Linux old kernels or old windows versions) did not support UEFI, for those should be an leagacy Boot Mode an option, also if you manually wanna edit bootup devices you do this in leagacy, save, restart, switch back to UEFI as on some devices there´s no options to change boot device in UEfi directly. Further more about that can get found here http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

If they´re untouched it should be UEFI = on by default (what is good for using with Windows 8.1)

AHCI vs IDE http://www.diffen.com/difference/AHCI_vs_IDE so AHCI is also the newer stand, and should be on by default but i remember a friend got same piece of hardware out of the same shop on different date than me, but in his device they setup as IDE and my device was AHCI and got lot of more performance in direct comparison and it was up on AHCI vs IDE on his device (if you flip from IDE to AHCI windows may not boot up anymore and you need a recoverystick to "repair" but there a lot of how to´s available)

Also you can open Taskmanager on both devices and check CPU/RAM needs in same "conditions" for both machines, you see CPU clock. Watch temperatures (CPUID or something) they should be lower on the FHD but if they´re higher it may throttle?

Regards, aVa

9. psyllium

psyllium Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nup, just the fan.

10. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My i7 never goes over 70 during web browsing and normal email office application work.

Mid to high 40's is where mine stays unless I play a game then I hit mid 80's.

I did repaste mine with GELID though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.