Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    And what about the charging? Is the FAN quiet while charging?

My laptop is still at the office, can only check it tomorrow, so need to inform myself, so I don't do anything wrong :)

Also, do I need to update to A01 first, before doing A02 update?

2. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no, you can go from A00 straight to A02.

3. mrcasual

mrcasual Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Silent or just barely audible, depends on your CPU utilization. Temps are up though.

4. francanna

francanna Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I am planning to change my one-week new Macbook Air 13" for this Xps 13" as I prefer Windows. I would choose the FHD version with i5, 8GB Ram and 256 SSD. But I have been reading the latest 10 pages of this thread and it seems it is crap! Fan issues, touchpad issues, standby issues. Is it really that bad?

Inviato dal mio SGP621 utilizzando Tapatalk

5. mrcasual

mrcasual Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Compared to Apple, every single PC has a crap touchpad. That said, Dell's precision touchpad is the best-in-class. There are no standby issues. The fan was loud (on certain CPU/screen combinations) but it's been addressed in the latest BIOS update. Battery life is far from what Dell advertises, unless you underpower your CPU, dim the screen and use Chrome or any other CPU-intensive applications. Some did have build defects but Dell is quick to send a replacement.

To sum up, the only 2 real problems are as follows:

1) Light leakage in the bottom left/right screen corners
    2) Battery life is not as advertised

There's also an adaptive brightness control issue and while I haven't experienced it, this is something that Dell can fix by pushing a BIOS/driver update.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. francanna

francanna Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have read dozen of reviews. What I got is that Qhd models make 6-8 hours and FHD 9-11 hours in a web browsing and office scenario. That would be ok for me. Does it match with reality?

Touchpad was reported to be "laggy". I have read that is one of the best tp on windows. I found myself ok with old Asus trackpad. Is it possible to set tap with two fingers for right click?

Fan was reported to be noisy (maybe only on i7 qhd?) and somebody here tells that bios update won't fix.

Standby: sure no sleep of death and unexpected battery drains?

In general, 1149 euros is not a few money. I have a good piece of portable computer and would change only to have a more compact and Windows based PC with no significant issues

Inviato dal mio SGP621 utilizzando Tapatalk

7. mrcasual

mrcasual Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1. Yes
    2. Touchpad lag was addressed in the firmware update. Yes, 2 fingers perform a right-click action.
    3. A02 BIOS update fixed the fan noise issue
    4. No battery drain during sleep (~2% every 8 hours is normal)/"sleep of death". Mind you, my experience is with a clean install of Windows 8.1 without any Dell software/drivers.

francanna likes this.
  8. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The A02 bios fixed any noise I had . However it seems to be stuck in silent mode and I am now reaching mid 90's and the fan never goes into high mode.

My CPU is not stuck at low values either, I reach 3000 on the i7 but yet the fan will not kick in high like in A01.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  9. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Screenshot 2015-03-22 16.37.21.png

This is a screenshot after A02, at these temps fan was about half what it was before A02 and my temps never reached over 87 before.

It does not bother me much as I do not do a lot of high intense computing, but I would like the option that if I do? I can turn the fan on high and bring temps back under 90.

10. wisconsinbulldog

wisconsinbulldog Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the sleep of death and standby issues and I followed up my post to report it was a 3rd party app, CoreTemp causing the problems all along. After removing that app I have not had a single problem with sleep or hibernate.

francanna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.