Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine is set to 0.6Ghz for both "plugged in" and "on battery." Should this be like this for both silent and performance profiles? Also checked task manager which shows the CPU hitting 2 to 3ghz., which indicated my CPU isn't being limited.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Foofyz

Foofyz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I flashed the A02 bios. Haven't heard the fan so far. Previously, with the A00 bios, the fan went on during a NoveBench test (at the end generally). Now it doesn't even turn on. Also, fan doesn't turn on while charging. So far very positive, but I have to test it for a few days to be sure.

Details: i5 QHD, Balanced power mode, 0.77ghz-2.55ghz.

EDIT: I was able to get the fan running when the CPU reached 80C while charging, the fan stopped only when the CPU reached 40C.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. Warius

Warius Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

big problem with my Dell XPS 13. Made a new installation of Windows 8, did all the updates, everything went fine.
    Then I wanted to restart the notebook und the screen stayed black. No Dell logo showed up with the possibility to press F2 Or anything else.
    It isn't possible to go to the BIOS. I cannot do anything.
    I need your help :)
    Thanks

4. moheban79

moheban79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my case A02 did absolutely nothing in that Dell Power Command still doesn't work and the fan barely powers up any more. Not only that the system was stuck at 600mhz. It took resetting the power profiles to default settings and reboot to see the multiplier jump up and down again past 2200 MHz all the way up to 2400 MHz turbo setting. So I got what I asked for. Its really quiet now. Just hope it doesn't over heat as I never hear the fan anymore except after prime95 and 83 degree temps!

5. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    can you reformulate it less confusing?

- so did bios upate fix the fan problem?
    - Dell Power Command still doesn't work?

is everything ok now, or not?

6. moheban79

Reputations:
    Short answer: No.

Is everything ok? Yes and No in that my system is locked in low fan quiet operation mode so theres more heat. I can't set it to performance mode with max fan speed at all. I believe though if I go back to A00 it will work again. Untested.

7. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    but if I recall, you can set in Windows Power Plan (0.6ghz -> 2.5 ghz in TDP). Does the Dell Power command really effect performance? Didn't really notice it.

Does one notice difference in ordinary activities (browing the web, youtube) when Dell Power Command is in quiet mode?

Also, couldn't one just uninstall Dell Power command?

8. moheban79

Reputations:
    In my case i could only set either 0.6ghz or 2.2ghz in the windows power plan. Dell Power Command is suppose to affect performance. Doesn't work. It only worked with A00 when it shut the fan off during all that noise. Hasn't worked since A00. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it to no effect.

9. mrcasual

mrcasual Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A02 fixed the "jet take-off" fan noise issue but at the expense of CPU temps, it's running ~5-10C hotter now (before low 60s, now high 60s/low 70s):

[​IMG]

It's also the first time I noticed >=90C.

10. sven147

sven147 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my system is pretty silent since the a02 update - well done dell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.