Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arctics

arctics Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, I set up the bios so my XPS 13 would show the Dell Security Manager requesting a password BEFORE Windows loads. I have a question about much security this password really adds. My SSD is partitioned into A: and C: drives. If my laptop was stolen, does the password only protect/encrypt the C: drive, or is the whole SSD, both A: and C:, now encrypted? Is BitLocker or something similar superior to this protection that Dell provides by default?

2. moheban79

moheban79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I checked that using aida64. Idling the cpu was at 800mhz and under load it went as high as 2500mhz as the multiplier shifted gears in between up and down. So far no noise while charging. I'm happy I returned the one I had before. If anyone is having fan noise issues I would flash back to A00. Side note my core temps just shot up to 66-68 degrees and IE just locked up. Then the fan revved up for 20 seconds and stoped. I love the silence but don't want to cook the cpu. Anyone know what are safe operating temps for the i5 cpu?

Thanks.

3. mrcasual

mrcasual Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Definitely. AFAIK Dell doesn't encrypt the drive.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  4. 4goMan

4goMan Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks TZW, I guess my brain was stuck on driver update not firmware update

5. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think under 90c you should be fine 90 and over would concern me.

6. daan87423

daan87423 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. sui22

sui22 Newbie

Reputations:
    A02 Bios available for download... Dell posted something about improved fan control and Update Intel CPU microcode. Does anybody know what the second one does?

8. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A02 has lowered fan noise for sure as I think they turned down the rpm? Running 3dmark skydive now my fan was barley noticeable where before was much louder, however before my temps never got over 87 now it hit 95. I think I had rather stay under 90c and be alittle loud when doing heavy task then be over 90 and quiet.
    Mine under normal use web browsing movie watching etc was never loud with A01 only when temps hit over 70c

9. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. btudor

btudor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my case, I rather like the trackpad as delivered. I do notice a small delay - seen especially when performing (initiating) a two-finger scroll, particularly in Chrome (but also elsewhere). However, my cursor "precision" and positioning is spot-on perfect, pointer maintains position to-the-pixel (it seems) when tapping or clicking. Never see a "jerky" pointer when moving, tapping, gesturing, or clicking.

What advise would you give w.r.t. the new firmware? Should I flash? Seems like there is no "going back" on this update - firmware update. Does the new firmware address "jerkyness" reported by users which I don't see (possibly because of slight variations in hardware tolerances, etc) and ignore the lag, or is the lag improved as well? Not clear to me from people who posted so far.

Also, does anyone know if the keyboard backlight "delay off" is adjustable. Mine fades off after 9-10 seconds of no-typing, which seems overly aggressive to me. I would prefer something like 30 or 60 seconds. I have not found this option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.