Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maruchino

Maruchino Newbie

Reputations:
    My local Microsoft store had the i5 4gb model in, none of the QHD's though - although they did say they were expecting them soon (that was about 3-4 weeks ago)

2. ~dadam02~

~dadam02~ Newbie

Reputations:
    Have to say i'm quickly losing patience with this laptop, brought the i7-5600 as wanted to future proof myself as much as possible and get the most powereful version to replace my aging 6 year HP laptop. I'm finding this XPS laggy as anything and its becoming such a chore to use that i'm reverting back to my old laptop which is struggling, but not as much as this. Surely this can't be right?

I'm currently only using this to browse the web, photoshop and a few other light use tasks and i'm finding that i'm sitting here twiddling thumbs whilst it decides what its doing when i'd expect it to be eating up these basic tasks with ease.

I know chrome is a processor hog but 6 tabs open and i'm waiting minutes for pages to open where my old laptop could handle 20+ tabs with ease.

Anyone able to offer up soe suggestions as to how to speed this up before i ditch it completely? Really like this laptop otherwise but my enjoyment levels are dimnishing quickly. Thanks in advance.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't always this bad, and i notice that the fan hasn't switched on once recently whereas before it was on almost all the time (as annoying as that way). Any connection?

3. GoneTomorrow

GoneTomorrow Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sounds like your CPU might be stuck in a low frequency. Open task manager, get the full info and see what your CPU frequency is when it's slow.

4. kristof1234

kristof1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    go to windows power plan -> advanced options Dell power plan -> go to thermal stuff -> go to LDP -> change CPU from 0.6ghz to 2.7ghz

It is impossible to believe that the engineers of Dell are so stupid to have left it on 0.6 ghz. I am sure it is just done to make commercial lies....

Sure, the battery can go 15 hours, but we handicap your CPU, so your computer uses less power.... Normal use, without handicap, only gets 9 hours max. It would be more fair to claim this. Who cares about 15 hours of battery, if your CPU is capped and too slow to open even 3 tabs??

Be ashamed Dell.

5. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can only see percentage of cpu usage in the power plans, cant see Ghz/frequency anywhere

6. ~dadam02~

~dadam02~ Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback, would be flabbergasted if they had underclocked it by that much but not surprised also.

So, I got home and fired up the laptop to check that and guess what.....i get the Dell screen on boot up and nothing else. Looks like my issue is more terminal and must be related to the lagging. Let's see what Dell say.

7. chapsaai

chapsaai Newbie

Reputations:
    is it possible that one will be able to use xto on the xps13? maybe with a modded bios?
    i am lucky that my lenovo flex2 can be handled with xtu and by undervolting i can use 200mhz more within the tdp limit.
    its not elementary or something i just love playing around with the xtu program, also its pretty neat for frequency monitoring and stuff

also when i buy my xps13 , whcih will still take some weeks, i will change the tim to liqid metal
    i never had a oem devie, laptop/graphics card or anything that didnt experiance a hught temperature drop by around 10° when changed the tim

also id like to know where i can see if there r bios updates out, as imho the bios far from perfect

those fan and backlight issues sure will get fixed with advancig bios settings, it just will take some time.
    as its business as usual nowadys to sell unfinished products

8. Keeper151

Keeper151 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So has anyone figured out how to make Chrome scroll without jerking yet?

9. submachine

submachine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Maybe stop using Chrome. I have Firefox with 50 tabs open, no problems.

10. Keeper151

Keeper151 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's not really helpful, but thanks. I can have as many tabs as I wish open on Chrome as well, but that does not change that there is a scrolling issue on chrome when compared to IE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.