Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That doesn't appear to do anything.

2. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm reading very often about the matte screen that one of its advantages is that you can use your laptop outdoors. But is that true? Isn't the QHD touchscreen ok under sunlight?

3. tylerwatt12

tylerwatt12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Matte screens don't reflect the screen as badly, and they don't catch fingerprints like glossy ones, at the cost of somewhat reduced color vibrancy and contrast.

4. dtblair24

dtblair24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is true. The QHD could be decent if it was pumping out some serious brightness to compensate for the glare. Probably get like 2 and a half hours of battery life though lol but that glossy glass is always going to have mirror like reflection in a bright environment.

If you really want the QHD I guess you could always invest in an anti-glare screen protector for the screen if you are going to be in a bright enviroment

5. sojourner21

sojourner21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got my XPS 13 from the MS Store - i5, 4gb RAM, 128gb HD.

I love the laptop so far, but the battery life seems abysmal compared to what Dell advertised. Dell claimed 15 hours for the FHD panel, which should mean at least 10 hrs in world usage. However, with a full charge, WiFi on, brightness at 40% to 50%, and Bluetooth off, I'm getting only 6 to 7 hours. I confirmed this using Batterybar as well.

Is this consistent with what other FHD panel users are getting or is my unit simply a lemon?

6. soleblaze

soleblaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did some tweaking and now it's bouncing between 3.5 and 7 watts. The display auto bright/dim is making it a little difficult to pin down average power consumption. I'm guessing that constantly having a lot of white on the screen can knock an hour off the battery life.

Edit:

For those interested, there's a comment thread on a github gist about running this laptop on ubuntu. I just tried audio and it isn't working. It looks like it is possible to get it working, but it may cause graphic issues. It'll be interesting to see how the developer edition looks from an OS level when it drops.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    vayu64, bmstrong and Xenograph like this.
  7. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I Stopped by the MS store today to see if they had the 8gig versions avail and started playing with the demo unit. Not once did the screen dim. The guy told me they image the machines specially for display and had a power plan called windows store demo. Gonna do more research.

8. tylerwatt12

tylerwatt12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I force installed Intel HD driver 10.18.14.4080, and updated the software. The hd graphics control panel under power>battery still shows panel-self-refresh instead of adaptive contrast control.
    Ive disabled it through this method before but the option isn't even there
    The guys at the windows store may be using a prerelease driver for the HD5500

9. bernieyee

bernieyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep, picked up the model from the Microsoft Store today.

Glad the memory modules are 2GB each making it dual channel as I dabble in light gaming.

Anyways, adaptive brightness is totally the only thing annoying me about this laptop.

EDIT: I went to the support page for this product and saw a download for Dell Command Power Manager. Thought I could control the display brightness from it.. nope. Just a tool for configuring your battery.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  10. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's not that much the QHD i would like, but the touch aspect of it. Is it worth in Windows 8 or 10?

Also, i have a Lumia 920 with IPS display and with medium brightness i can see really great under the sun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.