Dell XPS 13 2015 Broadwell Infinity Display Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by tassadar898, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tassadar898

tassadar898 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I figure I would start this thread since people will start getting their Dell XPS soon. I have had the Microsoft signature model (low end i5/4gb/128 FullHD) model for a few days now just wanted to give a few thoughts.

Form factor: Love the size of this thing! The weight is just right, it feels a little heavier then some other 13.3 inch but that is because it is more dense :) It feels very premium and solid.
    Battery Life: Definitely not 15 hours more like 9-10 hrs at 50-60% brightness with browsing and occasional youtube videos
    Speakers: WHOA! This are amazing for a laptop of this size. Loud, not too much distortion, decent amount of bass. Overall im really impressed
    Display: Love the Matte display, absolutely love it! There is some burn in issues (see other thread) but I believe them to be more image retention then burn in because they have gone away and don't appear to be permanent. Still slightly disssapointing, but I guess the battery saves from the IGZO display is worth it.
    Keyboard/mouse: Top notch in my opinion. Not Lenovo quality cause its a bit stiff but that will loosen over time.
    Webcam: A little awkward people staring at my chin and ceiling but its not too bad if you push the laptop a little farther away.
    Performance: Not too much gains from haswell. I downloaded WoW for the heck of it and get similar frame rates but Intel XTU is not supported currently so I can't see if there is any throttling. I cant do any tweaking to really push performance yet such as changing the TDP and undervolting.
    Acoustics: Pretty darn quiet, not as quiet as a surface pro 3 but pretty darn close. At full load I would say its quieter then surface pro 3.

Any other questions?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    When you do extensive typing, is there a case where your right hand registers random clicks?

3. tassadar898

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed a single incident. But ive never had an issue with any laptop ive used with that.

4. tkuhe

tkuhe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    any issues with the lid pinching you when you open up the laptop? When I was at the store the other day I nearly cut my finger off. I had my fingers resting on the back of the base while I folded open the screen with my thumbs..

5. tassadar898

Reputations:
    That has happened twice haha but I have wised up.

6. mva5580

mva5580 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You mentioned the SP3, were you an owner of that previously?

Would you say the XPS 13 has tangibly better battery life than the SP3?

7. tkuhe

tkuhe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Funny.. I was really surprised by how bad it pinched me, plus the edge was just sharp enough that it really stings... Definitely not putting my finger there again!

8. tassadar898

Reputations:
    I have. I had battery bar installed on both and I am surprised how well Microsoft did with optimizing power use on the SP3. With a digitizer and higher resolution display (albeit smaller display) the battery consumption is near identical. About -3,000 to -5000mw (with jumps to 12,000mw) usage on on XPS 13 and about -3700 to -6000mw (with jumps to 9,000mw) on SP3. Moreover, the Dell XPS 13 has a larger battery by 10,000 mwh so it gives about 3 hours of better battery life.

9. mva5580

mva5580 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, if it does get about 3 hours more battery life than the SP3, that would be great for me. I know it's a lot to ask, I understand it's not easy to attain, but I've really just been looking for a laptop around the size/form factor of an SP3/XPS 13 for a long time now that could me comparable battery life to an iPad and I would permanently make the switch. Again I know it's not even really a fair comparison, but I know at some point that will happen. If this laptop can pull 10 hours of battery life, I would feel really good about that.

10. nivekolleh

nivekolleh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After a week of obsessive research, i finally hit the trigger on the $999 model with $100 off

Here comes the normal buyers remorse :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.