1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell vs Asus - Which One Is Better?!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by zoot, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoot

zoot Newbie

Reputations:
    Ive narrowed it down to two laptops, both are approximately the same price. Ill be using the laptop for music multimedia, gaming and everything in between. Both prices are 899$ but the DELL comes with free shipping.
    Im thinking that its better to go with the faster processor and ram rather than video card, but im no pro. which Is why I need YOUR help! lemme know what u think.

p.s. Speaker quality is important

Dell Studio 14
    -Core i3-330m 2.13ghz
    -3gb ddr3 ram @ 1066
    -250gb hd @ 7200rpm
    -Radeon HD 4530 512MB
    -dvd burner

Asus x83vp-a1
    -Core 2 duo 2.53ghz
    -4gb ddr2 @ 800
    -500gb hd @ 5400rpm
    -Radeon HD 4650 1gb ddr3
    -no burner*

2. alumina

alumina Newbie

Reputations:
    asus for games

3. zoot

zoot Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, any one else?

4. Vlad_I

Vlad_I Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Asus is much higher quality product and has marginally more powerfull internal components. Either of the machines are not suitable for anything but occasional gaming. It would seem that battery life could be on the Dell's side judging by the components. IT all really comes down to what you want to do with the machine.

5. nodnarb83

nodnarb83 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Keep in mind that for gaming, the video card is always more important. The processor speed and RAM will help if they are higher, but the graphics card will pull the majority of the weight for higher resolutions, eye candy, etc.

The 4650 is a much better video card for gaming than the 4530. At 720p, the 4650 will be able to perform pretty well on a lot of games, whereas the 4530 will struggle a little bit more. The Studio 14 is the better system all around, but the Asus will outperform it in games. Both will handle any multimedia you throw at them, but if you really think your going to be gaming a lot on your laptop, then go with the Asus.

6. Hackez

Hackez Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Asus by miles. Did I mention Asus? Oh and Asus. :D

7. jonadagi2

jonadagi2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Go with the Asus.

Better Video Card, Better Quality and Better Warranty.

Plus, Asus Canada is offering a $100.00 mail-in rebate for the X83VP-A1 until January 31, 2010.

http://promo.media.anitec.ca/rebate/asus_nb_mir_01_2010.PDF

The mail-in rebate isn't mentioned on Newegg.ca's website, but I don't see anything in the form that would prevent you from using it.

N.B. the Asus does have a DVD Burner. On Newegg's site it's listed as "DVD Super Multi" aka multi-format DVD burner.

Also, notebookcheck rates the P8700 higher than the i3-330M. It gets slightly higher scores in each benchmark.

The only thing the Dell has going for it is faster Ram/HDD and even then the Asus has +1GB Ram and double the size HDD.

8. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    +1 for Asus ;)

Not only is that laptops specs better, but they have the best reliability rating. :)

[​IMG]

9. mystery905

mystery905 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Asus FTW....

10. zoot

zoot Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks alot for the input people.

Does any one know how the speakers preform on the asus?