1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell Vista Laptop Reformat and Bloatware Removal Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Les, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pne123

pne123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am courious. if i do not reinstall my MD, which i probably will not, can I map the MD button to some other program?

2. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    Yes...there are threads that discuss that.

3. kalidav

kalidav Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

I'm looking at buying an XPS 1530 this weekend while the 25% sale in on and I had a couple of lingering questions regarding the product key and x64.

First of all, I plan on following this guide to install a fresh copy of Vista. I have the choice between the media that the laptop comes with (ultimate x32 SP1) or my own copy of Vista (x64 SP0 + SP1 standalone install). If I chose the former, is the product key already written into the Dell Vista disc? Or would I need to read off a sticker on the bottom of the laptop? Or if I chose the latter (my x64), is there a sticker on the bottom that has the key I should use? (Given that Vista keys are independent of x32/x64)

The second part is regarding 64-bit support. Given I don't need Dell to actually provide the discs, what is the driver support like for all the major components (don't really care about fingerprint reader)? There was another thread on the forums claiming that Dell were offering 64-bit media for a few days so surely they must also provide the drivers for it somewhere?

Edit: Also one more question. I like to keep all my drivers at the latest, can I install the regular NVidia drivers from nvidia.com for the 8600GT M?

Thanks.

4. Forte

Forte NBR's Supreme Angel

Reputations:
    Product key is basically built into your bios in freeze frame, so nothing can get rid of it, not even if you upgrade/downgrade your bios, not even if you reformat your entire hard drive.

5. kalidav

kalidav Newbie

Reputations:
    That only partially answers my question. So if the key is hardcoded into the bios what do you enter during the install off either the Dell Vista install or my retail Vista install disc?

6. Forte

Reputations:
    Nothing. You do not have to enter anything whatsoever.

I've tried this myself using different Dell Vista Home Premium discs, each time for installation, it never asks me to input any key and after installation and reformat, both turn up to be identical product IDs that are already activated when I load up windows.

7. kalidav

kalidav Newbie

Reputations:
    Great. Thankyou :)

8. tomk7

tomk7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That sounds good.

What do you mean by "Copy your driver folder to a thumb drive" though?

Let's just imagine the worst comes to the worst and all I have is the Vista CD. Can I still download all the drivers including AHCI?

Also I don't think I want that Dell Diagnostics thing. No major problems can come from that going right?

And I hear most people don;t use Media Direct anyway so what is the point? I'd rather just turn the laptop on and run in from that anyway. I'll try and find the thread where it tells me how to map the Home button as Les said you can.

9. Forte

Reputations:
    Yeah, just go on support.dell.com and look up your computer, download all the drivers there.

10. pne123

pne123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ok, DELL support overnitght my MD 3.5 cd (i have been impressed so far). If i put it, boot to it, select option 1 does it repartition my whole drive so I am hosed and have to start my vista install over?

11. Forte

Reputations:
    Yes. You are correct.
    Also keep in mind... by default when you first receive your M1530, the Mediadirect takes up only 2.5GB in its own partition. If you reformat, which you have to to install or upgrade mediadirect, it takes up 3GB in its own partition which is 500mb more. Not that it matters for some people, but just FYI.

12. pne123

pne123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just made an ghost/image of my hard drive. If i run the md install then do a base install of vista I should be able to put the image back on. I think i need to go to another forum to see if the image will reinstall on a .5gb smaller partition.

13. pne123

pne123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think if I would have just put the MD cd in and ran the dellkit it would have worked w/o reinstalling and repartitioning my HD. I had to reinstall from vista from scratch after all. i wanted to repartition my drive and this gave me an excuss to start over. Les is right you will probably do it a couple time till it is perfect.

14. Forte

Reputations:
    Um, if you want Mediadirect to work properly, you have to follow the steps Les specified. Running Dellkit is after you have Vista installed which is after you first use mediadirect to repartition.

If you do not repartition first with mediadirect cd, then reinstall vista, then stick in MD cd and run dellkit, you can still use mediadirect, but it will be like running windows media center. You wont be able to actually use the home button to boot up into mediadirect because you did not first repartition with MD cd.

15. jtb1987

jtb1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Say if after I get my XPS and I do a fresh install of vista and set up a dual booting system with XP and vista, will I need to reinstall the Nvidia card drivers on both OS's? Where do you go to reinstall them?

16. alekto

alekto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I was working 20 minutes ago on my DELL which I have for about 4 weeks when a window popped up and told me google-toolbar was installed on my computer. I was still given the option to 'recline', which I did. Then, apparantly, the already installed application was uninstalled.

The window had a header with a dell logo on the left and on the right it said 'incorporation with google' or something. I think it's legit and not spyware or something but I am angry that a thrid party can actually download and install software without my consent. You may find this ridiculos but this derailed my train of thought and since I am under pressure to finish an essay it was most unwelcome.

Looking up 'dell' and 'google tool-bar' I found that both companies had come to some agreement or somesuch and I assume I witnessed the ugly child of that alliance.

I'm really sorry I am making you read my ranting but this is something not acceptable. Is this really legit? Has anyone of you experienced this today?

Seriously, this makes me want to complain somewhere. But that'll likely be futile anyway. Sorry for the rant.

Oh, is there any way to prevent any more software installed on my system? Thanks.

17. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Seems like you have issues/questions that belong in their own thread, not here.

18. Monk

Monk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alrighty, reformatted a few times and got my new xps1530 haulin', i also read somewhere that when you do a fresh install a ghost folder shows up under C drive as a "saved windows" folder, which is around 6-7 gigs. Anyone hear of this or have thoughts about it??

19. jtb1987

jtb1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why would you need to reformat it more than once?

20. darthsat

darthsat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Basically some people like to do multiple reformats to set up their new laptop in a way that is perfect to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.