Dell Vista Laptop Reformat and Bloatware Removal Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Les, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    Yes...u should be able to pull up all the drivers u need from the dell site...Its simply trial and error from here.

2. chovalin

chovalin Newbie

Reputations:
    hi there, i tried your way to re install my vista os, but in the part where am suposse to install (hard drive), it shows "no drivers were found", tryied to reload them, re scan, and do all the nonsense that dell wants you to do , but no luck, can u help me, mine is inspiron 1721 laptop, vista home, i do have the vista cd and i formated the drive because is not booting to windows anymore, i just have the black screen,please help,

3. acabandaso

acabandaso Newbie

Reputations:
    So I went to install windows 7 , and it extracted correctly, and went to reboot. However, upon rebooting, it sticks at the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD....". If I press a key it does the windows 7 install over again, if I don't press a key it stays at that screen forever. I tried re-doing the pre-install part again but it got stuck upon the first reboot, again.

4. Turkish01

Turkish01 Newbie

Reputations:
    This thread is long and old, but it still seems like the best place to post this request for help. I have an XPS 1530. The HDD just went out so I am attempting a clean install on a new hard drive. My problem is that my my system won't boot the Media Direct or Vista disc from the dvd rom. I get a "no bootable device" error message.

5. michael_recycled

michael_recycled Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you adjusted the boot sequence in your Bios setup? Your optical drive should be on #1 of the list.

Michael

6. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you follow these steps to install windows 7 ultimate instead of reinstalling vista home premium? I have had profound problems reinstalling vista so instead of using the dell disk, I used a retail version. I formated the drive without media direct and then installed vista on the whole partition. The reason: you can't reinstall vista from the restore partition anyway so why bother having the logical partition. In other words, what is the point if it is useless.

I have found from time to time, especially with vista, that due to the amount of use my 1720 gets, the hd needs to be cleaned out. This is because I can't solve the indexing problem which has at times slowed it down to a snails pace. Therefore I wipe the hd clean with disk scrubber making sure I go over it 3 times to be sure there is no dell junk left on the drive. Sounds cruel to dell but dell has been cruel to me and others. I don't like their proprietary software either. If you know what you are doing, one can do better elsewhere. But having said that, the reinstallation process can get tricky in vista and hanging up is a big problem.

I am currently using win 7 and like it so far. There are a few glitches but I am sure that will be cleared up as time goes by. Dell wants you to use the vista drivers when installing win 7. There are no new drivers except the wlan driver that comes with win 7. I tried both and don't see any difference in wireless speed. More later on that.

7. arsalan786

arsalan786 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok so i have this inspiron 1510 from dell and i have this stupid virus in my laptop so i plan to reinstall the vista from scratch . so should i follow this guide and will it help remove all the junk and virus that is on my laptop? thanks for ur hellp guys

can anybody help me please i really wanna do this right now when i am free. thanks again for all ur help

if any experts don't mind helping please help i am requesting. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.