Dell Vista Laptop Reformat and Bloatware Removal Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Les, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottyboy99

Scottyboy99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have a problem with dell mediadirect 3.5 on my vista pc. Basically a while back I had to use the dell factory restore option. Ever since dell media direct hard boot does not work as it should do. If I try and hard boot all it does is display the splash screen momentarily and then continue loading vista. When Vista loads in dell media direct then launches from within windows. Is there any possible way to restore dell media direct hard boot functionality without resorting to the drastic measure of completely reinstalling windows. It has taken me weeks to return the laptop to it's former state. I do have everything important backed up but just going through re-installations of all the software is a bit of a nightmare. There must be a way of fixing the boot record or something like that.

Thanks in advance,
    Wayne

2. crash

crash NBR Assassin

Reputations:
    Hmm I'm not sure. Since MediaDirect resides on its own partition, it may not be repairable without using the whole re-format procedure. Have you tried putting in the MediaDirect disk while in Vista to see if there is a repair option?

3. arsalan786

arsalan786 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi guys had a question yesterday i had a strange virus enter my laptop like bunch of pop ups were opening and my laptop was restarting by itself after every couple of minutes. anyways so what i did that i had a recovery disk like vista 32 bit so i reinstall that when i came to the partion window i formated my recovery drive and my primary c drive so everything got cleaned which is good. now my question was did i do that correct ? because i didn't had media disk so i couldn't follow les guide in the first 3 steps. also my question is ahci driver i don't know anything about that. so i installed the windows now i have brand new windows vista with fully formated. so how do i check if i have ahci installed and what is it anyways is there any advantage of having it ? or what is disadvantage. thank for all ur help fta gurus.

4. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    AHCI will get you somewhere around a 12-20% power increase from your system. Pretty much every system uses AHCI nowadays.

You can check by going into your control panel/device manager/IDE ATA?ATAPI Controllers and see if AHCI is listed.

5. arsalan786

Reputations:
    hi thanks for the response. here is what is listed under IDE ATA?ATAPI CONTROLLERS
    - ATA CHANNEL 0
    - ATA CHANNEL 1
    - ATA CHANNEL 4
    - ATA CHANNEL 5
    - Standard AHCI 1.0 SERIEAL ATA CONTROLLER

is that mean i have Ahci or not? sorry i am just being a complete nooby but i just wanna figure it out that i did it correctly. also one more thing after the reinstall of my windows my laptop apperance is not looking as sharaper as it was before like its kinda blury blury in device manager i have three things that are with yellow pipe
    -sm bus controller
    -video controller
    -standard vga graphic adapter.

i don't know if the bluryness is because of those three things with yellow pipe. thanks for all ur help again. hoping for reply thanks

6. Les

Reputations:
    Yes...you can probably find and install your video update through the Windows update and u need to find out what drivers are missing.

I am going to guess the chipset controller and video driver.

7. arsalan786

Reputations:
    also i wanted to add that i also did the vista tweaks.

8. arsalan786

Reputations:
    hi les i installed all the windows update but still i have those yellow pipes beside these following categories.

-sm bus controller
    -video controller
    -standard vga graphic adapter.

any idea what to do on this thanks

9. Les

Reputations:
    Nope....What is your system. All of the drivers will be available from your manufacturers site. You just have to find the right one. I havent your system so I dont know the manufacturer or GPU in your system.

10. arsalan786

Reputations:
    hi les i have dell laptop of inspiron 1525 i think
    intel core 2 duo t6400@ 2.00ghz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.