Dell USB-C Discussion

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by MLev1777, May 2, 2016.

1. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. Figured as much and I believe we can get an HDMI 2.0 port using the Dell or Google USB-C to HDMI cable as mentioned below, but not sure that's been confirmed

Cool thanks. Hoping that would also work with the XPS 9550 when I get a 4k monitor. Also, the ordering issue you described is somewhat similar to one I have where I need to manually set the monitor's input to the Dell output, as if it auto-searches it takes a bit for the Dell and Monitor to link at the same time and connect. If your Asus has a TB3 port, probably an early driver issue when it has to detect and select DisplayPort

2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    it sounds like yours eventually detects and connects.
    I had one 4k monitor that was slower to detect/connect.

my issue is a lot worse because it goes into an infinite loop with the flickering

3. joseph_lin

joseph_lin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what this chip is about? I added a copper heatsink and my USB-C Hub VGA port no longer flicks! Well, it still flicks, from several flicks per minute down to 1 flick per hour from my yesterday's experiment.

Attached Files:

4. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would be the Southbridge, which connects inputs and outputs to the CPU. (http://www.laptopmain.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Dell-XPS-15-9550-Disassembly-39.jpg) Strange that cooling it makes a big difference in USB-C adapter stability, but I guess possible if heat is affecting it or the connection to the Alpine Ridge controller, which I assume is one of the two black plastic encased chipsets on the right side of the above image.
    I haven't used the VGA port on my DA200 adapter for extended periods but it short use it seemed to work fine. Please keep us updated if it keeps being more stable or if that changes. And might be helpful if you want to detail how/what you added as a heatsink in case others want to try
    Could this also help explain the increased fan speed while using USB-C adapters? Maybe someone with more knowledge on thermals knows a way to check the temp of the Southbridge using software.

5. Farhan Tariq

Farhan Tariq Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,
    I have been trying to connect my 5.1 surround sound speakers with the laptop ( Dell XPS 15 9550 ) but the HDMI connection uses Intel Display Audio to playback. Just wanted to know if anyone else tried using USB type-C to connect with HDMI and then if it uses RealTek Audio as the playback device .

Thanks in advance.