Dell to fix my M18x R2 7970M CF for a fourth time tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by ErikO, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This was originally posted in an "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) session with General Manager Frank Azor. Here is a link to it: Ask Alienware's General Manager, Frank Azor, Anything!
    That was only three months ago, but what we feared would happen seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. It certainly did not take very long for our fears to come to fruition. (Expand the quote to see question in blue text and response in red at the very bottom.)

Ask for an Area-51 and see what they say. Do your homework. Compare performance and original purchase price in case they challenge your request.

2. s3rg1o

s3rg1o Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mr fox hats off to you. That was a good read. Area-51 may be the way I need to go. I'll do some research because i'm sure they will be calling me tomorrow. thanks again

man feels like i'm running the amazing race via phone. lol

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Rotary Heart and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. s3rg1o

Reputations:
    Ok folks need your opinion.Looks like i'm going to have to go to exchange dept for my m18xr1. looking at the area 51 ....I bought my laptop for 5436.45 before tax . The Area 51 config i'm happy with cost 3928.99 and I still would have to buy my monitor... do you think this exchange would be fair? If there any dell reps on here please give me an honest answer.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Oh now I'm glad I didn't renew warranty. That is totally bonkers, why would they give you a desktop in place of a laptop? Push for replacement video cards either 780M or R9 m290x, then push for Alienware 18 replacement. I personally have no space for a desktop set up and would find that exchange totally unreasonable.

5. s3rg1o

Reputations:
    Hey Raidriar,
    If you read through my older posts. When I was talking to tech help. She had said that there are no more parts for my laptop...the m18x is now end of life. She tried to tell me to take an exchange for a m17. Then she got a bit mad when I said no. I don't mind if i'm not mobile so the area 51 set up I think would be fair ...I have the room and I would again have the great performance I had from my m18x...I do feel sorry for those that still have warranty until 2016. I'm hoping to resolve this soon it's been a fun ride to say the least.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    It is really up to you. I would push alienware 17 R2 with some sort of graphics amplifier and graphics card bundle, or see if you like the desktop config they give you. Sad to see the death of a M18x :(

7. s3rg1o

Reputations:
    I know to think it ran like a top for 4 years. Ran everything I threw at it. :(........moment of silence please

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No way, Jose... not for me, anyway. I would NEVER accept that disposable anemic BGA pile of trash with a eGPU contraption as an M18xR1/R2/AW18 system exchange. It's lower performance and half the value, with fewer features. Losing mobility would suck, but that 17r2 would be a massive rip-off downgrade, and you'd still have to use it sitting at a desk to have slightly LESS performance running a single 980M versus 780M SLI with an overclocked Extreme CPU. I'd rather have the SLI beast fixed, but if they don't have parts the Area-51 is the only option that is equal or better performance.

They actually brag about 50-60 FPS gaming using the eGPU while tethered to a desk in all of their hyped YouTube marketing videos and my SLI beasts all typically run about double that framerate gaming with the beast on my lap in my living room recliner, LOL. And, don't even think about competitive overclocked benching with one of those wimpy jokebooks.

TomJGX and Rotary Heart like this.
  9. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If Dell had 680m's, I'd be pushing for them as a gpu replacement option, firstly. If that fails, you could try more 7970m's. If that is not an option and you are left with system replacement, I'd be gunning for 780m's in an 18 as they still outperform a new 17R2 and you can still keep total mobility. If you aren't bothered about losing mobility, I guess the Area 51 is your next best option because why even bother with a laptop which you have to use as a desktop?

Accepting a plastic, BGA sporting machine as a replacement is not "like for like" - even if Dell chucked in the eGPU and a desktop card for you. On top of that, depending on your location, you might not even get the proper rated power supply if they offered you a 980m R2......

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Has anyone actually received a desktop in place of a notebook yet? Interesting turnout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.